why women don't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajenn:
I would say the reason there are so few women divers is because it's still gaining in popularity in women. When I took my first scuba class, there was only one female instructor at the university (with about 20 staff). Now there are around 6 or 7.
I think we just have to recognize that scuba used to be a male dominated sport (from the perception of danger it may have portrayed in the past) and is now accomodating the female population more and more. Also, the women I've taught generally are taking the class with someone else.
If they don't have a buddy going into it, it seems they are less likely to take the class if they have to by themselves. Just my two cents.

LOL! I took the OW class first, got certed and then dragged my two best friends to a Discover Diving session (1 male. 1 female). Then I got my niece into it and am working on my sister and brother-in-law.

For some of us who are "of a certain age", we were raised with "No dear, girls don't do XXX. Only boys can do that." After having to watch my male cousins learn to hunt, do archery, rebuild car engines and dive as a child and teenager, I decided that I was going to learn to do all those things eventually. I'm still working on learning to rebuild a car engine... <grin>

I think each country will have a different ratio of men to women in the sport, due to social mores and how the sport is marketed.

When I went to the Florida Keys this past 2 weeks the ratio on the dive boat was about 50/50. Our own group was 3 females to 1 male.

I also think the lack of gear that fits women comfortably in the past may have had something todo with the dearth of females in teh sport until relatively recently (as well as the Navy boot camp style training philosophy that has finally changed over to something more reasonable for folks who aren't NAvy SEALs)

Christine in Dayton, OH :bfish:

ckbonder:
...I'm still working on learning to rebuild a car engine...
I never really had a desire to do that, though I did rebuild a carburator once. I also replaced an engine in a Chevy Sprint with ~140K miles on it after the ex-hubby let the original run out of oil :11: While I was at it, I rebuilt the clutch, replaced all the brakes, shocks, struts and belts (including timing). It was cheaper to buy the used engine and all of the above parts than it was to have someone rebuild the old engine. When we split up, he got the car :rolleyes:

My firends think I'm nuts or are afraid of Great White sharks or too cold for them. One friend calms me chum! California diving is cold but it keeps me fresh on my skills and makes warm water trips so easy and enjoyable!

I recently did my checkout dives. There were only 2 females on the trip. and 10 guys. I kinda like the ratio. Too bad the guys were either married, or too young:wink:

I just finished my holidays and the number is confirmed, more or less 20%.
Holidays... in France... problems and excuses for girls are the same ;-)

ciao

my wife has promised me she'll learn scuba next month when we go to the red sea for holiday. here in riccione, the water of the adriatic is too brown and too cold for her.

i'm not going to insist too much, but i'll let you know how it works out! :)

Stivo:
my wife has promised me she'll learn scuba next month when we go to the red sea for holiday. here in riccione, the water of the adriatic is too brown and too cold for her.

i'm not going to insist too much, but i'll let you know how it works out! :)
C'mon - who wants to dive in chemicals? especially cold ones?

KimLeece:
C'mon - who wants to dive in chemicals? especially cold ones?

I should've clarified... I won't insist for her to dive in the red sea...

hell, i haven't even dived the adriatic... yet. i wonder if my conshelf 21 is industrial waste certified...

Don't get me wrong! I wasn't talking about the Red Sea - although I don't have personal experience I've never heard that it was too polluted. I was referring to the 'brown' water of the Adriatic - it's even dangerous in many places just to have a dip from the beach!
I hope she does dive with you in the Red Sea - and has a great time!

KimLeece:
I was referring to the 'brown' water of the Adriatic - it's even dangerous in many places just to have a dip from the beach!

it's not so bad as you tell, we've paradises in the Adriatic too even if for a long part of it there's sand only but of course we don't dive in there :eyebrow:

ciao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom