why women don't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear you really are a troublemaker moderator arent you? :wink:

I´ve been :hideing_b on this thread but you brought me out of hiding with that post...
Overall impression - you guys don't much like women, do you......

Sure we do! (scubaguy even seems "attached" to one)
I just think we (I know I do) like women who dive more then other kinds and there´s a very finite supply of those :frown:

Having said that I´ve hardly been on a diveboat this year without at least one female on board...some have even been wearing drysuits :luxhello:

chrisch:
Italy has the lowest birthrate of all the European countries. Women seem to me to be in charge of most things here. Your best friend should find a partner that she deserves rather than a jerk that would make that comment...

Chris

Yeah ! She is getting divorced right now :)

mad:
Yes, could be but it's a quite ancient cultur, fortunately now changed!
I said in Italy we have 22% of women diving, I don't know in your country... :06:

ciao, Marco

LOL. I think the US is higher than that but I do not have figures. I think for OW in France is almost 50/50. But again I do not have figures at hand. My country is 22% :wink:

I don't think in France is 50-50. Remember that Italy is close to France, habits are almost the same but Italy has more seasides... :wink:

I would say the reason there are so few women divers is because it's still gaining in popularity in women. When I took my first scuba class, there was only one female instructor at the university (with about 20 staff). Now there are around 6 or 7.
I think we just have to recognize that scuba used to be a male dominated sport (from the perception of danger it may have portrayed in the past) and is now accomodating the female population more and more. Also, the women I've taught generally are taking the class with someone else.
If they don't have a buddy going into it, it seems they are less likely to take the class if they have to by themselves. Just my two cents.

lucky him! :wink:

well, the man was my husband...

mad:
I don't think in France is 50-50. Remember that Italy is close to France, habits are almost the same but Italy has more seasides... :wink:

you are right. OK you made me dig up some figures. Cert datas in 2002 for the french agency

Statistics of number of cert delivered in 2002
Niv I (OW equivalent)/CMAS * : M - 19482 W - 10462 (W 35%)
Niv II (AOW eq)/CMAS ** : M - 7379 W - 2962 (W ~29%)
Niv III (~ rescue )/CMAS *** : M - 3048 W - 976 (W 24%)
Niv IV (~ DM) : M - 957 W - 173 (W 15 %)

For active divers I dunno ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom