Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilless:
First Lamont has already given an excellent response to this question

But I want to add that if the OOA diver wants to breath, that diver isn't going any farther away from you than the length of that hose.

Yeah, actually I've done that before, too... As the OOA victim no less...

Around dive #20 I had a valve that was 1/4 turn on which basically quit on me at 60 fsw. I went OOA on a diver with a long hose. I then lost control of buoyancy a bit and started floating up -- the fact that my available gas source was 5 feet below me created an incentive to get that under control and not try to drag the other diver up by my mouth... If you don't have that flexibility you could wind up in a situation where one diver is dragging the other diver up in an out-of-control ascent...

lamont:
... not try to drag the other diver up by my mouth...

You must have the bite of a Gila Monster...

DIR is a philosophy and the technique derives from the philosophy.

jeraldjcook:
Not trying to bash, this is truely a question. Can you explain to me why a long hose back-up it better?
The back-up is on a short hose bungied under your chin. Your primary is on the long hose.

TheRedHead:
I felt that was answer from someone who dwells on the components and doesn't understand the big picture.

TheRedHead, I think you are losing sight of the original question - why the prejudice about GUE & DIR. As a response to that question this was a comprehensive answer.

Now, whether what Dragon2115 states as reasons for the prejudicemay or not be factual. But as a reply to the original question his answer I thought covered everything well.

No, I don't think I lost sight of the original question, his entire answer falls into not seeing the forest for the trees. If you search and read several years of discussions you will learn that there are diverse reasons. If you focus on just the equipment, you will miss the important aspects. His answer speaks only for one set of objections.

TheRedHead:
The nitrox sticker comment has to do with the practice of marking MOD only on deco gas bottles and really makes sense. If you have a cylinder marked 70 in 4 inch numbers, you don't have to worry about reading the analysis sticker and determining that it is 50% and calculating the MOD. All you need to know is that you don't breathe from that bottle below 70 feet.
But considering that the comment came from someone's idea of an Open Water class, I don't think it would apply in that context ... we don't use deco gas bottles in Open Water classes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Put your popcorn away Tze. I shall refrain making a horse drink. :)

Back
Top Bottom