Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Brandt:
That paniced diver can kill you. The paniced diver WILL take the reg from your mouth as that is one that is not only readly seen but also working.

Ron

As long as they have 1 mouth and I've got 2 or 3 regs and a hand on their dump valve, I feel pretty safe.

Terry

lamont:
Yeah, actually I've done that before, too... As the OOA victim no less...

Around dive #20 I had a valve that was 1/4 turn on which basically quit on me at 60 fsw. I went OOA on a diver with a long hose. I then lost control of buoyancy a bit and started floating up -- the fact that my available gas source was 5 feet below me created an incentive to get that under control and not try to drag the other diver up by my mouth... If you don't have that flexibility you could wind up in a situation where one diver is dragging the other diver up in an out-of-control ascent...

With a standard 40" hose, the donor could still reach the OOA diver's dump valve.

<ducking and running>

Terry

NWGratefulDiver:
But considering that the comment came from someone's idea of an Open Water class, I don't think it would apply in that context ... we don't use deco gas bottles in Open Water classes ...

I wasn't even aware of Lamont's post when I wrote that. All I saw were some unidentified quotes. I think I first read about the green and yellow label in the dustbin, so to speak, from G3's writings and then my IANTD instructor hammered home the point of the limited information a Nitrox label imparted.

Matsya:
Now, whether what Dragon2115 states as reasons for the prejudicemay or not be factual. But as a reply to the original question his answer I thought covered everything well.

You mean besides the fact that he plucked a post of mine completely out of context and used it to slander myself and everyone else who dives DIR? That's "covering everything well"? That the meat of his argument, that wasn't based on poor quoting, seemed to be about the rules in the DIR forum without understanding why those rules are there or where they come from? I'm certain I could do better than that if I tried...

Web Monkey:
With a standard 40" hose, the donor could still reach the OOA diver's dump valve.

<ducking and running>

Terry
Web Monkey, that's kinda my point. But I agree with the DIR people at well. With a long hose if they bolted for the surface, I'd be grabbing at their ankles.

Web Monkey:

Sure. In that situation, though, the donor knew me and knew my abilities. We'd done OOA scenarios before. He knew that i was floating up because i was a having an 'oh **** its good to breathe' moment by myself, and he knew that i was competent enough (or maybe had hope that I was competent enough? it was only dive #20...) to come around and notice that i was floating up away from my gas source and correct the issue. The long hose gave us enough rope between us that it didn't require any sort of reaction on his part to try to get everything under control. It is not the only option, but it allows for more options than just a 40" hose. Going to a 40" hose starts to more limit your responses.

Bigcape:
Of course I was. I wanted input from the horses mouth.
Well ... you got half your wish ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I understand the DIR setup right, your primary is on the long hose, back up on a short hose, so you really have the option to donate whichever one best fits the situation. Right?

I would suggest then asking only for imput from DIR divers. Even if a post is in the DIR forum, if it shows up in New Posts, a lot of the time people don't pay attention to the specific forum and post anyway. If you ask in the first sentence, then it should be clear what you want.

NWGratefulDiver:
But considering that the comment came from someone's idea of an Open Water class, I don't think it would apply in that context ... we don't use deco gas bottles in Open Water classes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But the point was (again, this was a whine and cheese forum post on *my* idea of an *ideal* OW course) that I hate the stupid bumper sticker standard, and would rather that the entire world revolve around me so that tanks had MOD markings and contents stickers only and everyone in the world analyzed their gas before diving and that all tanks were assumed to contain voodoo gas until otherwise proven to contain air. In an ideal world (according to me), this is the way it would work. And, when given the chance, I will continue to *whine* about this.... I hate the bumper stickers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom