Why the big Diff in wing $$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the Piranha wing people are talking about, the Hog wing that is on sale on the Piranha site ?

I described it in an odd way. The wing is being sold by Bryan (Argonaut Dive), and is something that happened due to a "partnership" between Piranha and VDH. I heard Randy introduced Bryan to the manufacturer, and do not know if Piranha has any trade products currently from this manufacturer..

he he ....

I think I paid retail price on my no-name backplate & harness, but that's only because it was cheaper than other guys' limited time special one day only super-saver sales. Everything else I bought below MSRP and felt sooo good for saving sooo much money and getting suuch a great deal. Case in point: $150 Hog wings.

Buy a good brand name used off scubaboard or eBay. If they are taken care of they will last a life time. The halcyon wing I'm diving right now was manufactured in 2006 and it looks/performs like its brand new.

Buy a good brand name used off scubaboard or eBay. If they are taken care of they will last a life time. The halcyon wing I'm diving right now was manufactured in 2006 and it looks/performs like its brand new.

Yes, that's how I buy trousers.

Why the big difference in wing prices? Are the pricier ones sooooo much better constructed? For instance for a 30# (ish) . . . :
I think the differences in price probably reflect a combination of branding, production site, materials, and quality of construction. I can’t say that you can develop a mutlivariate equation that will fully account for the price differences that you see, however.

I have a lot of wings, single cylinder, double cylinder, back-mount, sidemount, etc. I have seldom used price as the distinguishing factor, although I have bought and do buy used gear on eBay, to get equipment at a lower price. But, I will share one experience that may be relevant. I have a Halcyon Eclipse 30lb wing (Halcyon Eclipse - Halcyon Dive Systems). I love it – compact, functional, never had a problem with it, of any kind. Not inexpensive, either, even at shop staff prices. I decided I wanted a second 30lb donut, and since I have some Zeagle gear, I took a flyer on a Zeagle 30lb wing (30lb Donut Bladder). Its list price at the time was almost 50% of the retail price for the Halcyon, so price was a factor, even at my staff price. It took 4 months for the shop to get it in. Within 4 months of getting it, it started losing air – during a dive I would keep adding small puffs to maintain buoyancy at a given depth. Turns out there was a defect in the wing and Zeagle, to their considerable credit, shipped a new one to me as a replacement. Within, 6 months, THAT wing started leaking as well, and Zeagle, again to their credit, shipped me a new bladder which I installed. I haven’t had any problems since. But, every time I use it I think about that experience.

So, I asked myself, was the ~$150 that I ‘saved’ on the Zeagle really a savings. I have a fully functional wing, but it took me well over a year, and more than a bit of effort, to get there. My experience could have just been bad luck. My Halcyon wing may die tomorrow, etc. And, people kid about the Blue H tax. But, maybe there is at least substance to the price differential. I have 3 Halcyon wings, including an eBay purchase, and they are all as functional as the day I started using them. As an aside, I subsequently bought an Apeks 30 lb wing (WTX-D30 Single Cylinder Wing), simply because I wanted to try it out (and later bought the 18 lb version as well). And I have had no issues. Both are very rugged wings, albeit somewhat stiff, and they work well. The 30lb Apeks cost just about the same as the Halcyon, I think. But, I have an ever so slight preference for my Eclipse. :)

If I were to buy yet another 30-ish lb wing, I would probably try something in the DSS line, simply because Tobin gives such great help to buyers.

What day is it now?

Never underestimate the value of a brand... I refuse to buy premium brand products at premium brand prices and I'm still alive. Take from that what you will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom