My new wing!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My second (and last) ScubaPro Trav-Tek wing is dying a slow death so I'll have to check out the 30# Dive Rite Venture wing for fit. I already own two other Dive Rite wings for my BP.

Hi guy's, I'm in a bit of a quandary about my wing lift needs.

The one time I used a bp/w it was a 40lbs pioneer, SS bp and I wore 14lbs on the belt. It was awesome!

When I go into LDS, the guy (36yrs instr) looks at me cross eyed at the thought of 30lbs wing. He says it would not be enough in some situations, rescue, whatever.

When I use the wing calculator it says I only need 17 lbs lift and 7 lbs lead! Crazy. I would like to give the 7 lbs of lead a try.

Only going to buy one wing at this point, so what do you think, 30 or 45 ?

I noticed that the Scubapro Knighthawk has 45 lbs of lift.

I do a little spear fishing and a little picture taking, that’s about it. Maybe some bug hunting soon.

P.S. Thanks for posting this thread BigWilly

Last edited:
I sure like my 30-lbs Venture wing a lot more than the 45-lbs Venture wing for regular fun dives. If I were to go and harvest scallops, I'd break out my bigger Venture wing though. Eight or so of the big scallops add real quick to one's dive weight.

BTW, good choice of color!!! Red is the fastest. Hehe.

What difference do you notice the most between the two, and if you were only going to have one, which one would you buy?

Thanks, watchmanjc

Hi guy's, I'm in a bit of a quandary about my wing lift needs.

The one time I used a bp/w it was a 40lbs pioneer, SS bp and I wore 14lbs on the belt. It was awesome!

When I go into LDS, the guy (36yrs instr) looks at me cross eyed at the thought of 30lbs wing. He says it would not be enough in some situations, rescue, whatever.

When I use the wing calculator it says I only need 17 lbs lift and 7 lbs lead! Crazy. I would like to give the 7 lbs of lead a try.

Only going to buy one wing at this point, so what do you think, 30 or 45 ?

I noticed that the Scubapro Knighthawk has 45 lbs of lift.

I do a little spear fishing and a little picture taking, that’s about it. Maybe some bug hunting soon.

P.S. Thanks for posting this thread BigWilly

Your weight requirements will go down as you get more comfortable in the water. I can tell you that the first time I dove with a 7mm (farmer-john) wetsuit it took ~28 lbs of lead to get me underwater. I now use 14lbs.

If you are going to try less lead, decrease it in small increments. Maybe 2 lbs at a time.

I would agree that in some situations (like a rescue) 30# may not be suficient for me, since I'm ~25 lbs negative already. But in most instances you wouldn't need to provide positive buoyancy for the victim with your kit, just inflate their own bcd to establish positive buoyancy. The only exception I can think of is if the victim's bcd gets punctured and can't hold air.

But I could be totally off-base with my opinion. I'm sure somebody will disagree with me...

CHEERS

-Willy

Back
Top Bottom