Why the big Diff in wing $$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarahlee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just curious as I am just getting into backplate / wing setup diving

Why the big difference in wing prices? Are the pricier ones sooooo much better constructed?

For instance for a 30# (ish):

Piranha $185
OMS $275
DiveRite $299
Oxycheq $320
Holis $339
x-tek $360

hmmm......

They're made (and/or) sold by capitalists?.....just a stab in the dark.

Just curious as I am just getting into backplate / wing setup diving

Why the big difference in wing prices? Are the pricier ones sooooo much better constructed?

For instance for a 30# (ish):

Piranha $185
OMS $275
DiveRite $299
Oxycheq $320
Holis $339
x-tek $360

hmmm......

Did you see my recent post on my new BP/W setup? Review: XDeep Ghost BCD- BP/W

It was $700 complete (Wing, backplate, neutrally buoyant padding, all webbing, D rings, inflator and with the optional large capacity weight pockets). If you think it is something that would interest you, let me know and I will let you know who I purchased mine through or anything else you'd like to know.- Greg

Just FYI, DiveGearExpress (DGX) sells the same wing as the DiveRite for $199. I asked DGX and they confirmed it's made by the same company (probably in China), but without the DiveRite branding. I have a OxyCheq 40# and recently got a OxyCheq 30# wing (smaller for travel). The OxyCheqs seem more durable than the DiveRite travel wing that I was looking at, but that's just an impression, not based on experience with the DiveRite.

Oh, and OxyCheq offers wings with a range of colors, not just black. I like my fluorescent orange wing; I have no desire to be a ninja.

This seems to be the best deal. I believe someone named Marie has a hardly-used one on SB for $100.00 I have a Hollis-branded one I got new on sale for about.........ah.. cheaper than retail.
dristriantawingmainpic.png

Last edited:
Halcyon for the win!

Only joking - a wing is a wing. to my shame I have three halcyon wings. They are overpriced and work. All wings will work they are about as simple things as you can think off.

That being said - there is nothing wrong with paying a little more for a bit of bling factor. We do it with cars so wings should be no different.

So moral of the story - buy whatever wing and bp you want but make sure you get the blue h harness.

I own wings from HOG (50# double, 32# single, and 23# single), DiveRite (ccr), DSS (LCD 30), OxyCheq (30# Mach V), Deep6 (20# & 30#). There are "apparent" differences in materials by feel, that may or may not make them "better" than each other. Any of them are adequate for the diving I do, and meet my expectations.

There are others I would get in a heartbeat, but I have what I need for now...

A recent opportunity for a Argonaut Dive 18# wing has shown up, and it is disappointing I have what I need in that category as the pricing is really good...

(see the VDH store if you are interested - Vintage Double Hose, not just for double hose diving)

the piranha wing is made in taiwan iirc which explains a bit why it is cheaper.

the more expensive wings are typically made in the US or EU instead of asia and also have heavier shells for more durability.

if you are looking for a complete plate/wing package, the two cheaper options are the dgx bundle and the sopras sub from dixie divers

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

Scuba Diving Gear, Classes and Dive , snorkel Charters. - BCDs - bcd, dive rite, diverite, transpac, xt, softpac, soft pac, harness, soft, bcd, back inflate, voyager, pack, pac, voyagerpac, voyagerpack, scuba, dive, diving, tech, tec, tek, diver, dixie

@sarahlee you might want to give Tobin @cool_hardware52 a shout if you want to know about wings. Cost, manufacturing and reliability. By the way DSS is located in Pasadena.

Back
Top Bottom