Why the big Diff in wing $$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Piranha (and Argonaut Dive) are US made!

@OWIC647
Thanks Bob

I'm really pleased with the way the new wing turned out and can't thank Randy enough for all his help making it happen.

Just FYI, DiveGearExpress (DGX) sells the same wing as the DiveRite for $199. I asked DGX and they confirmed it's made by the same company (probably in China), but without the DiveRite branding. I have a OxyCheq 40# and recently got a OxyCheq 30# wing (smaller for travel). The OxyCheqs seem more durable than the DiveRite travel wing that I was looking at, but that's just an impression, not based on experience with the DiveRite.

Oh, and OxyCheq offers wings with a range of colors, not just black. I like my fluorescent orange wing; I have no desire to be a ninja.

Dive Rites soft goods supplier is in New York for reference. All of their soft stuff, wings/transpacs/counterlungs/pockets/etc etc are all made there. They have OEM'd for several other companies in the past. Early HOG wings were made there before they went to Taiwan, I believe the Piranha wings are made there as well.

@sarahlee the cost of the wings is partially done by where they are made with lower cost materials, both bladder and outer cover as well as the elbows/dumps etc. Some of it is in the small features and amount of sewing. Dive Rite uses crosshairs which uses a more expensive webbing material vs. the nylon shell and there is more labor involved with doing that. Deep Sea Supply has a custom injection molded wing stabilizer and uses very high quality inner bladders. Halcyon uses a laminated fabric for theirs.

Since you are in LA I would contact @cool_hardware52 since he produces his products in Pasadena and that way you are supporting local business as well as buying a top quality product. While his wing prices independently are quite expensive, a complete rig is quite a bit more reasonable than most suppliers

Just curious as I am just getting into backplate / wing setup diving

Why the big difference in wing prices? Are the pricier ones sooooo much better constructed?

For instance for a 30# (ish):

Piranha $185
OMS $275
DiveRite $299
Oxycheq $320
Holis $339
x-tek $360

hmmm......

Except for the Piranha, they strike me as all being roughly in the $300 ballpark. That doesn't seem like a "big difference" to me--at least not any bigger a difference than other items of dive gear. Is a $360 regulator "much better constructed" than a $275 regulator? Like other dive gear, wings might be constructed a little differently, in each manufacturer's attempt to differentiate his product from competitors', but whether the difference in construction makes one "better" than the other is dubious.

I have Deep Sea Supply and am satisfied.

Halcyon for the win!

Only joking - a wing is a wing. to my shame I have three halcyon wings. They are overpriced and work. All wings will work they are about as simple things as you can think off.

That being said - there is nothing wrong with paying a little more for a bit of bling factor. We do it with cars so wings should be no different.

So moral of the story - buy whatever wing and bp you want but make sure you get the blue h harness.
Halcyon is extremely committed to customer satisfaction. They make a very good quality wing, but it's the support when it breaks that you are really paying for. But my DGX wing works. I'm not sure I'd really want to take it 5000 feet into a cave, but for what I do it's fine.

Just curious as I am just getting into backplate / wing setup diving

Why the big difference in wing prices? Are the pricier ones sooooo much better constructed?
What type of diving are you planning to use it for? Local, travel, over dry suit, wet suit?

What type of diving are you planning to use it for? Local, travel, over dry suit, wet suit?

What difference does it make? The only possible change he'd make depending on what answer he gave would be the type of backplate he is going to get - and he isn't asking about that.

This seems to be the best deal. I believe someone named Marie has a hardly-used one on SB for $100.00 I have a Hollis-branded one I got new Hollis one on sale for about.........ah.. cheaper than retail. View attachment 414985
Thank you Divad. Your remark here made me find a wing on my budget. Now I got to find the rest... (plate, STA, harness, something for weight...) on a budget... Plan is to have my son try a BP&W, for his BCD would fit both (one at a time) my wife or my daughter... (both new divers to be)...

Last edited:
Thanks Bob

I'm really pleased with the way the new wing turned out and can't thank Randy enough for all his help making it happen.
Oooh! You and Randy have teamed up? Sweet. Looking at that 18 wing. Too much to ask you to compare it to the Oxycheq I am use too? Similar fabrics and low profile?

I use wings that have the ability to use with out a STA, lower profile. Oxycheck and DSS are like that. im sure others have something similar but many do not.. No sta and it is one less part to loose.. some brands are higher because of the name. Ie Halcyon was high because of the DIR endorsement associated with it. I( have never looked at the parraiha, but from looking at the sight a minute ago they look like they are low profile and no physical STA is needed. probably a good deal. I like the hose ever my left shoulder as opposed to center between my head and tank valve. Each to their own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom