Why not attach spool to DSMB before the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Follow up question: when storing the 2 unattached, I am able to secure the line by passing it through 2 holes on the spool in a similar way to what you have in the picture. It basically avoids the double ender to open unintentionally.

View attachment 741113

How do you secure this when storing attached?

My primary & backup DSMBs with attached spools are in my right & left pocket respectively. I don’t have to utilize these tricks to keep the double ender from becoming detached. Also, there are alternative methods that can be utilized to help prevent the double ender from detaching that don’t required the spool & DSMB to remain detached.

Follow up question: when storing the 2 unattached, I am able to secure the line by passing it through 2 holes on the spool in a similar way to what you have in the picture. It basically avoids the double ender to open unintentionally.

View attachment 741113

Basically you just rig it, then pull one time through a hole then roll around the double ender behind the lever and attach, the loop around the lever will pull against it preventing opening.

When I put it in my drysuit pockets I find that if you just clip normally after pulling hard it’s enough to keep it together.

View attachment 741113

1662101064461.png

Full details on the spool knitting:

Link to post 81 in this thread:

View attachment 741302

Full details on the spool knitting:

Link to post 81 in this thread:
Great suggestion. Just tried and it works great. To make it even more snug, I am passing the double ender through the 2 bungee loops that keep the DSMB folded. The overall assembly is now very secure and doesn't wiggle. Thanks all for the suggestions. I did think there was still so much to learn on DSMBs!

Great suggestion. Just tried and it works great. To make it even more snug, I am passing the double ender through the 2 bungee loops that keep the DSMB folded. The overall assembly is now very secure and doesn't wiggle. Thanks all for the suggestions. I did think there was still so much to learn on DSMBs!
If that helps I carry two DSMB, one wide and one slim. They are both tall but the slim fits in my pocket easily.

I like to rig the DSMB and fingers spool together before the dive. I have been diving with it in a pocket, but I also want the option of clipping it off to my backplate, which is handy if your pocket space is limited. I just did a little bit of searching on youtube and found this video which was one of the better ones I saw in my brief search. It also seems to match the technique used in the GUE thread linked in post #134 which looks straightforward and simple to rig.

So I will get to practice DSMB deployment on my dive vacation next week and am currently practising and optimising how I stow my DSMB in my living room. Reading this thread helped me decide I need to keep the kit attached on a dive. But the challenge is that I got a DSMB that is more than 1.5 mtr long, to compensate for… (nah skip that!) - out of sheer anxiety of ever being lost at sea.

I have tried deploying the DSMB a few times only with poor results (good thing nobody was filming). But now I know why - I never practiced for muscle memory on land before by breaking down the deployment into a sequence small steps. Now I am at it and I realise I cannot blow my DSMB on land in 1-2-3 or even 4-5 breaths! “It’s so beeeg!”… and it’s a closed DSMB with the valve being the only option of blowing it up (no holding the reg under the bottom opening - there is none). I need this to be quick and efficient. What are my options besides buying a new DSMB? Can I instead make it a habit of deploying at 8-10mtrs? Will a DSMB that needs 5-7 breaths on land get stiff in 1 or 2 breaths at 8 mtr (as compared to deploying at 5 mtr - does it get progressively easier)? I got 25mtr so on the spool and plan to cut it down to 15…

Thanks!

As you know, the gas volume in your DSMB will double between 10 m/33 ft and the surface or triple between 20 m/66 ft and the surface. I usually deploy somewhere around the former depth to take advantage of the gas expansion and to have a reasonable amount of line to manage. It also makes it very easy to make the safety stop or a shallow deco stop

@Pearlman

Mark your DSMB at 1/4 the distance from the top with 100 feet/30 meters, 1/3 from the top with 66 feet/20 meters, 1/2 from the top with 33 feet/10 meters.

Partially inflate, roll up your DSMB from the bottom and see from what depth you'd have to deploy.

Yes, deeper is easier. At 10 meters, it will take half the number of breaths that it takes at the surface. It will only be half full when you release, but the expansion will fill it out on the way up. If you cut your spool down to 15 m, you probably shouldn't deploy from deeper than about 10 m to allow for the angle due to current.

If you really want quick, you can use your BC inflator hose on the oral valve. Less than 2 seconds, and it pulls HARD. If you're tangled, you're going for a ride. I wouldn't suggest doing this for the first time in open water.

My advice is to inflate orally, even if it takes a few breaths. 1) Take a huge breath as you vent your BC a bit to stay neutral. 2) Blow into the DSMB. 3) Insert reg [edit: in mouth] and purge [edit: so you can breath]. If you need to add more, repeat from step 1. Take your time to release when you're absolutely ready & clear of the line. 4) Release the buoy and take a breath. Hit the inflator to add air back into your BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom