Why not attach spool to DSMB before the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This piece of kit does not have the valve fitting for an LP hose (non-locking) connector else an extra dedicated LP hose (without Drysuit) could be an option but then again I want to keep it simple and clutter free. So blowing the valve with lips is the only way.

Thanks to everyone who replied with useful tips and info!

Cheers
Ditch the SMB and get a proper DSMB. Your surface buoy will try to kill you every damn time you launch at depth. That stupid valve requires you to unscrew it for inflate and then tighten prior to launch so it doesn't lose air or fill will excessive water. (Ask me how I know...)

$40 and it won't kill you as easily.

Ditch the SMB and get a proper DSMB. Your surface buoy will try to kill you every damn time you launch at depth. That stupid valve requires you to unscrew it for inflate and then tighten prior to launch so it doesn't lose air or fill will excessive water. (Ask me how I know...)

that's a great choice as the dual colors are visible in the most common scenarios.

Not all are that way, mine is spring loaded so you pull it back blow and let it go. Easy with one breath.

From what depth do you deploy your DSMB typically? The reason I ask is that you have to be fast when you use a method where you increase your buoyancy suddenly (hence not one of my favorite methods, but likely the most common method).

PS. Is that a swivel? Stainless steel? Where'd you get it?
Typically from about 10m. As I mention in the above post, as soon as the DSMB partially lift up, you let it go, which usually takes about a second.

I saw my guide in Similan doing it such at easy, I told him to get me that set up. The spool has no swivel. It has oversize center hole to stick your thumb & middle finger acting as an axle for the spool to spin freely without having the DSMB pulling you up with it.

Let me see if I can find one in Amazon & post it later. It’s made out of aluminum.

E77983C4-0CAC-456C-A993-CA705AC17945.jpeg

Just make sure you get the oversize center hole, as some of those cold-water gloves can be pretty fat to fit your finger & thumb into the hole. Well, actually you just need to sandwich the spool with your thumb & middle finger loosely for the spool to spin freely without flying out of your hand, but sticking your middle finger in the hole would assure you for not losing the spool.

The tapering angle, from the spool rim to the center hole with smooth rounded edge, is nice ergonomically design for the spool to not getting caught and jammed at your finger.

I had a cheapy plastic spool with sharp corner at the center hole that cut my soft skin finger (after an hour of diving without glove, my fingers’ skin become so soft and prone to be easily cut). That cheap plastic spool is now stored in the proper bin - trash bin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom