Why not attach spool to DSMB before the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just make sure you get the oversize center hole, as some of those cold-water gloves can be pretty fat to fit into the hole.
I wouldn't put my finger all the way through. If you mistakenly have a spool with insufficient line, you don't want to get pulled up.

I wouldn't put my finger all the way through. If you mistakenly have a spool with insufficient line, you don't want to get pulled up.
Indeed. I corrected my post accordingly.

At one time the spool flew out of my hand. I just wait until the DSMB reached the surface and the spool to roll back down and caught it before keeping rolling to the abyss. Then lock the string with the double ender to one of the spool’s rim-holes to stop the spool from rolling to the abyss.

I have one of these as well, the one happy-diver has, used when I think the conditions warrant it, easy diving I use a basic DSMB attached.
ap-diving-smbci-with-cylinder-all-colours.jpg

You MUST remember to rinse this little cylinder well, easy to forget rolled up after a dive.

AP's colour schemes are rather odd. Skippers have commented upon the black being harder to see.

Orange for a normal SMB
Yellow for emergency.

OK, on some boats.

AP's colour schemes are rather odd. Skippers have commented upon the black being harder to see.
Black is more visible in early morning/late evening sun when the sun is behind the diver
Orange for a normal SMB
Yellow for emergency.
That's not universally true.

Yellow and orange here, easy to see.

I have Apeks spool. While overpriced (don't have as many choices as you guys over the pond) I still like it.
Was going for cheaper plastic spool, but friend gave me good advice to get spool that will not take off if dropped while shooting SMB (like Dan said, it will come down). Line is hard locked onto spool to avoid losing it if it unwinds.
BTW, I wind line around double ender to prevent it from unlocking on spool end.

What emergency are you planning on solving immediately with a Smb?
Since you asked, here’s a case when diving in Palau’s Peleliu Corner. It’s a reef-hook diving spot, where the current at the edge of Peleliu corner ridge could be ripping. That’s why you need reef hook to keep you in place to enjoy the parade of pelagic in the blue water and keeping your hands free for taking pictures or video of the fishes. If you miss the hooking at the start of the dive, you would be blown away by the ripping current. Deploying the DSMB as quickly as possible at depth would help yourself from being spotted by the skiff at the surface. Otherwise, you might be lost at sea, miles away. The next land mass is The Philippines about 500 miles to the west or Raja Ampat about 500 miles to the south.

This really was a scary situation because we thought the team was still on the wreck and after their min gas time was up there were only 2 scenarios, they ascended but not noticed by us, or died on the wreck. Luckily it was scenario 1 and we found them because they activated a PLB. If not it would have been the coast guard helicopter!

That’s why I carry PLB & 6’ DSMB on ocean dives. Being lost at sea is no fun.

How long is it taking some divers to attach an SMB to a spool, to the point that they believe it impacts their safety?
Doing it quickly is good practice. However, you are dealing with another unnecessary task & risk during an emergency. What if you fumble it & drop the spool to the abyss while trying to connect the string end to the SMB?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom