Part 2 - Advanced DSMB Deployment Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Julaye I would not recommend attaching the double ender that way. It needs to be flipped so the mouth is facing toward the string
B97BE6CF-E424-4C75-ACCA-75A09A0CD889.jpeg

Don’t attach this way.

Too easy to squeeze against the reel and push the clip open.
C7602D6E-F3F1-4D6B-B3A2-43ABA45227CD.jpeg

Instead, turn it over as shown below and it won’t come open. If you don’t believe me, orient it as above and push the clip against the reel. You’ll see it pop right open.

Do it this way:
F7474AAB-EE79-4C60-A565-5A4336C24CD0.jpeg

I pull the end the line through a hole and secure it the same way that one would do without the DSMB attached.

It’s quite hard for it to come loose accidentally this way

314044AB-E54C-46ED-93BC-284B7FF178A3.jpeg

EE2D5E6A-2696-45E1-9E24-961B439F0534.jpeg

Oooh, another tiny little blob. Great for training in a lake. Not much use in the sea where it can’t be seen in the waves or from any distance.

Oooh, another tiny little blob. Great for training in a lake. Not much use in the sea where it can’t be seen in the waves or from any distance.
I was wondering if it is not a slim 6 footer

Well, after coming back from Cozumel where we deployed SMBs on every dive, I can tell you that these small oral inflate Ones are a pain, my wife had an open bottom 6 footer with the pressure relief valve that she inflated with her octo that worked perfectly. I will be getting one of those. Much easier, keep the other as a back up. But, no there was nothing “technical” about holding your position at 30’ and releasing a DSMB.

Well, after coming back from Cozumel where we deployed SMBs on every dive, I can tell you that these small oral inflate Ones are a pain, my wife had an open bottom 6 footer with the pressure relief valve that she inflated with her octo that worked perfectly. I will be getting one of those. Much easier, keep the other as a back up. But, no there was nothing “technical” about holding your position at 30’ and releasing a DSMB.
If that helps most of the oral inflate are compatible with the LP hose you use for a drysuit or inflator.

I was wondering if it is not a slim 6 footer
They mentioned a 3ft/1m one as it's easy to fill with one breath. Omitting that it's pretty pathetic on the surface.

The only good blob is a big one.

If that helps most of the oral inflate are compatible with the LP hose you use for a drysuit or inflator.
Not all are. Some have no over pressure valve -- seems a fail, but hey ho. Those are the ones with the horrid mouthpiece without a nozzle; you need to depress the one-way valve in the mouthpiece to deflate.

To be fair about the video, they did point out about the OPV.

Don't know if it's me, but underwater with cold lips I really struggle to inflate a bag. Thankfully there's the drysuit inflator / bailout tail to do the job.

They mentioned a 3ft/1m one as it's easy to fill with one breath. Omitting that it's pretty pathetic on the surface.

The only good blob is a big one.

Not all are. Some have no over pressure valve -- seems a fail, but hey ho. Those are the ones with the horrid mouthpiece without a nozzle; you need to depress the one-way valve in the mouthpiece to deflate.

To be fair about the video, they did point out about the OPV.

Don't know if it's me, but underwater with cold lips I really struggle to inflate a bag. Thankfully there's the drysuit inflator / bailout tail to do the job.
Yep, mine just had the one-way valve with no hose attachment point, I will keep it as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom