Part 2 - Advanced DSMB Deployment Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Link to the older discussion about this crack :)

I wouldn’t touch any kind of a lift device using a fixed gas source with a barge pole. Photo of my small lift bag.

Attachments

• 0556F4C3-F0C8-4DD5-8C21-AD4F60A2CC54.jpeg
    0556F4C3-F0C8-4DD5-8C21-AD4F60A2CC54.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 55
You're right, finally a disadvantage of that thing... It was too perfect to be real
They are also huge when rolled up. I have one that I won at an auction, it's about the size of a football (as in oblong weird shaped American football, not those round ones everyone else has).

I have also dove with the ginormous 10 foot OMS ones. Both are too big when stored to be practical for my use.

Woe unto thee who has a "crack bottle" inadvertently deploy their SMB.
Seen a very experienced diver get tangled deploying a lift bag, he was gone 60 feet when he cut clear, and no one could follow him.

Generally, my hand is covering my knife while my buddy is deploying the SMB. Ready 2 Cut
Looks a bit suspicious from the buddy perspective 😂

🤿 🔪 🎈 🤿

The whole thing with SMB deployment is getting your act together. Tidy the lines up, hold everything in place and look upwards before you inflate.

IF you screw up and tangle the SMB line on the reel handle, just let go. The skipper will retrieve it (they'll notice it's dead with nothing moving below). Then deploy your BACKUP SMB and don't screw up again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom