Feedback Wanted: Apeks Spool & Halycon Big DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Game Changer. Why do you need the double ender? Can you just use the snap on the SMB strap to hold the line on the reel, and use the SMB bungie to hold the strap so that the reel is right on the SMB for storage?
I need the double-ender for Step 5:
"When DSMB is fully launched, retrieve double-ender from BCD D-ring and attach to spool to secure the line."
The double-ender can also be used to assist when winding the spool as you ascend.

Is this the Super BIG DAM? If yes, not sure how doable that will be to inflate underwater unless you are shooting it from very deep..

If I'm someplace where I need a big SMB, such as Cocos Island, I carry a Dive Alert on a separate 26" LP hose clipped off to my left hip D-ring. It's easy to plug to Dive Alert into the valve on the Halcyon SMB and the longer hose allows me to keep things in front of and away from my body while I shoot the bag. I don't even bother wrapping up the SMB, just accordion fold it and stuff it into a pocket with the spool attached,

My assembly is simply to unwrap the SMB, unwrap the DSMB, clip the double ender to the reel and DSMB. Both pieces are in my Apeks shorts. With practice, this assembly is second nature. Practice is key.

I bought an AP Diving Training DSMB that has a low-volume bag so you can inflate and deploy the DSMB, and then since it is low volume, you can pull the inflated DSMB back down to your depth. Then, deflate the DSMB, roll it up, and practice deployment again. At the start of the diving season, I would join my club in the pool and practice deployment 10-15 times.
AP Training SMB | AP Diving

There is a better way to store your spool and I have used this method with my 15m Apeks spool for many years.

Good luck. Nice choices; buy quality, and buy it once!
I bumped accidentally in this old thread but I have the same spool and I use the slim version of your DSMB.

What I do is after rigging the DSMB with the spool, I use the method in the video above to secure the double ender.

I found that if I do that it never comes off accidentally.

Any further thoughts from people about the halcyon super big vs. super slim? I was thinking the slim has height for needed visibility, but also may be easier to fill and roll up in a smaller roll?

If you put the bungee through the eye of the bolt snap sewed onto the dsmb it makes things a bit tidier and less likely to unfurl in your pocket

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 102
Any further thoughts from people about the halcyon super big vs. super slim? I was thinking the slim has height for needed visibility, but also may be easier to fill and roll up in a smaller roll?
What do people think? Is the slim better all around because of size/thickness?

I lik th e6ft slim as it wraps up nice, fits in a pocket easily and can be inflated without too much hassle. I've not had a skipper complain inteh UK yet, diving year round south couast and Scotland. I had a 6ft fat and it was ok in the pocket but tended to empty the contents as you pulled it out, and needed much more air to launch. The slim works, so moved over to these.
The 4ft fat is OK in the pocket, bends slightly better so it doesn't empty stuff in quite the same way and is pretty visible too.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom