Why isn't the Freedom Plate DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree that Argon is only an incremental benefit, but even air sure beats Trimix backgas when it comes to suit inflation. (You only make that mistake once!)

...To be honest, I fill my suit bottles with Argon when I can; otherwise, they get filled with air. I can't feel that much of a difference.

Hence the label:

Airgon.jpg

All the best, James

edit: I'm not sure about hard pony brackets, but I haven't found a soft pony strap setup that will hold an Al 6.

DIY: Pony Bottle Mount - YouTube
[video=youtube_share;j0sdSL-ng-g]http://youtu.be/j0sdSL-ng-g[/video]

I've enjoyed over 100 single tank trimix dives.
Am I a large market? No.
But I sure as hell don't use helium mix to inflate my drysuit.
Argon or airgon bottle management was an essential part of my GUE course...in a "single-tank" rig.

Eric,
I suggest contacting Jarrod Jablonski directly at GUE if you desire the official answer.

GUE standardized cylinder management does not allow Bracketing of additional cylinders to one's back-gas cylinder(s).

I can envision a couple of ways of rigging an alternative drysuit inflation bottle to the Freedom plate using drilled holes and webbing.

A Fundies cert card includes the implied confirmation that the diver's skills, knowledge, and equipment are ready to proceed to Tech1 or Cave1 or other more advanced GUE courses.

For cold water and drysuit diving, an acceptable argon or airgon bottle attachment would be needed.

Call Jarrod and find the GUE answer from the source.

~~~~
Claudette

Its not uncommon to place an Al14 on the diver's left tank with a velcro 'pony' type mount for longer/deeper dives. I prefer it to the al6, actually, as far as comfort goes. If you position it right, it doesn't even get in the way.

Freedom plate looks sweet to me, but I think the lack of interchangeability in regards to doubles and the lack of the mounting option for an al6 argon bottle are the issues for DIR. For rec diving, I think its a cool idea, though. Purdy if nothin' else!

They are also a LOT more comfortable than most plates. Eric forms them to fit your spine and the bottom curves around your hips. No sharp edges to cut your harness and they hold a single tank closer to your back than standard plates. It's really nice having a 130 on your back that never swings.

Your plates are gorgeous, Eric!

I passed Fundies and Recreational Tri-ox in 2006, and those were my last GUE courses. Training did include using a 6cuft argon bottle for drysuit inflation. How would I attach an argon bottle to the Freedom plate?

That's the only thing that occurred to me after looking long and hard at your beautiful design.

~~~~~
Claudette
Hey it's Claudette.
How you doing there North Coast Inductee!
Long time no talk.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2013 at 12:32 AM ----------

Eric,
I suggest contacting Jarrod Jablonski directly at GUE if you desire the official answer.

GUE standardized cylinder management does not allow Bracketing of additional cylinders to one's back-gas cylinder(s).

I can envision a couple of ways of rigging an alternative drysuit inflation bottle to the Freedom plate using drilled holes and webbing.

A Fundies cert card includes the implied confirmation that the diver's skills, knowledge, and equipment are ready to proceed to Tech1 or Cave1 or other more advanced GUE courses.

For cold water and drysuit diving, an acceptable argon or airgon bottle attachment would be needed.

Call Jarrod and find the GUE answer from the source.

~~~~
Claudette
I suspected the argon bottle to be the issue. Also the interchangability from singles to doubles.
The singles to doubles is actually easier to fix than trying to attach an argon bottle inside the wing instead of on the side of the tank. I don't understand why it would make a difference where it's mounted as long as it's secure. The only possible explanation would be because of of an entaglement hazard if it's mounted on the side of the tank. In open water I don't see a problem, but if standardization is the issue then the rig would have to work in all environments.
The problem is that the Freedom Plate is so narrow that to try and mount a bottle to ride on the side of the plate would drive you nuts banging and flopping around on the side.
I could contact JJ but I have a feeling these are the issues.

Halcyon makes a kit that mounts a 14 cf bottle directly to the tank. To quote, "14-cf mounting kit secures a larger inflation source to the diver’s single- or double-tank system". So if it is ok to use a 14-cf system with a single tank then I don't see the problem with the Freedom Plate. Does the GUE expect you to purchase 2 different bottles for dry suit inflation? A 6-cf for singles and a 14-cf for doubles? I suspect the the instructor may have never seen a Freedom Plate and may be thinking about something else. I would ask for an opinion from GUE corporate because this will come up over and over unless stopped now.

Hey it's Claudette.
How you doing there North Coast Inductee!
Long time no talk.

Hi Eric!
I'm pining for the beauties I got to see on that wonderful camp and dive trip, that's for sure!

In the meantime I'm doing a lot of SoCal diving including an entire squid run at my local mudhole, Veteran's Park, in August and September.

Hope you're doing great!!

~~~~
Claudette

Eric, I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. What you might do is show how a true hogarthian single tank rig is set up with the freedom plate.

I use my freedom plate with a 5 ft long hose and bungied neckless, a dive rite mesh pouch zip-tied underneath for a SMB, but I only dive wet in warm water. I've used it in caverns quite a few times with a can light, it works perfectly.

E

No it doesn't.

There are two levels of Fundies pass.

Halcyon makes a kit that mounts a 14 cf bottle directly to the tank. To quote, "14-cf mounting kit secures a larger inflation source to the diver’s single- or double-tank system". So if it is ok to use a 14-cf system with a single tank then I don't see the problem with the Freedom Plate. Does the GUE expect you to purchase 2 different bottles for dry suit inflation? A 6-cf for singles and a 14-cf for doubles? I suspect the the instructor may have never seen a Freedom Plate and may be thinking about something else. I would ask for an opinion from GUE corporate because this will come up over and over unless stopped now.

If we're talking about DIR, we're talking about using the right tool for the job. If you CAN use a 6, I think you probably should. If your profile requires a 14, then use that.

A single tank OW 30/30 dive doesn't really require an al14's worth of inflation gas. So why take it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom