Why isn't the Freedom Plate DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What more can I say?

The truth. The conventional backplates were developed by the cave community for diving doubles because at the time there was no optimal solution for diving doubles. The use of single tanks was largely an afterthought as evidenced by a single tank adapter needed to mount a single tank. The freedom plate was designed without compromise exclusively for single tank diving. The type of diving the vast majority of divers do. Most people no longer use doubles wings for single tank diving so why use a plate designed for doubles?

I have one of the first Halcyon plates...actually a few of them so I can instantly do either doubles or single....
As much as I like Halcyon, I would be very happy to dive a fredom plate...but I am picky about wings....I am going to either want to use a Halcyon wing...or no wing at all(which I would also be fine with in summer with non-buoyant exposure suits)...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I have one of the first Halcyon plates...actually a few of them so I can instantly do either doubles or single....
As much as I like Halcyon, I would be very happy to dive a fredom plate...but I am picky about wings....I am going to either want to use a Halcyon wing...or no wing at all(which I would also be fine with in summer with non-buoyant exposure suits)...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Actually, if you wwere interested in no BC diving with just a swim suit or very light wetsuit you may be better off using a plastic backpack like the ones Trident sells. I just did a search and found one complete with a harness and cam strap for $66.95
The Freedom Plate is either 3 or 4 lbs depending on the model and that might be over the weight limit for warm water no BC diving.

This thread has been dormant for a while now. We kind of reached an impasse with the Halcyon wings and the fact that they don't have slots. By looking at them they look like very nice wings but unfortunately for me they are set up to use with a STA and I refuse to compromise my plate by putting a STA on it. To me it gets away from the ultra minimal ideal I'm trying to accomplish by having a plate with zero moving or removable parts.

Speaking of no BC diving, I don't know if you saw the thread "Absolute "minimalist" diving". We're discussing diving bare bones using knowledge and skill instead of a bunch of gear to cover for lack thereof.
I got inspired by Sam's SPG thread and saw a few of your comments about diving sans BC.
I thought "Alright Dan, cool"
Here you are one of the first GUE WKPP DIR divers and had a lot to do with the formation, and then here is a thread about minimal gear and how nobody used an SPG or BC back in the day.
I had no idea you went that far back, pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom