Why isn't the Freedom Plate DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently purchased a freedom plate from Eric and have to say he has been nothing but courtious and helpful with my purchase. I'm a recreational diver that will probably only ever dive single tanks. I've always struggled with search for the perfect bcd. They were either too big, too flimsy, didnt fit right, 50# bladders etc.
Something was always off. What the Freedom Plate does is take all the advantages of BPW and applies them to rec diving. It's comfortable, simple, extra rugged. I like that it doesnt require any fasteners to assemble. Its super easy to disassemble for packing or for cleaning. This is what sold me on the FP. This is clearly your maket, recreational divers looking for the ultimate bcd. I would focus on this group. Bypass dive stores and start a website where people can purchase these and learn about FP.

Yes, I take providing marketing advice "way too seriously" for some folks.

I think you need to step back and read your own posts. You may be a great guy but you come across as pompous and arrogant. Just because you are a managing director of a marking firm, have billion dollar clients, and may get first class upgrades so you can carry 3 75lb bags for free; should Eric have to follow every word of your advice? Advice which is largely worthless.

For the 9+ days of this thread, you were the biggest naysayer with your major advice that Eric should re-engineer his product for Halcyon wings. Why? they are not the dominant singles wing in the market. Even if we add other wings requiring a single-tank adapter (AGIR-Brokk, IST, Light-Monkey, DRIS) as compared to others (DSS, Scubapro, Apeks, Hollis, Dive Rite, Oxycheq, OMS, HOG, Zeagle), I don't believe the STA wings are the dominant style of wings in the market. If you have market share data then please share it with us.

BTW, the name "Gypsyblood Dive" has to be the worst name I ever heard for a dive charter operation. I hope you were not the one that thought that name up.

For the 9+ days of this thread, you were the biggest naysayer with your major advice that Eric should re-engineer his product for Halcyon wings.

I've never been a naysayer about the product, and I don't think I ever suggested that Eric re-engineer it.

I've been a naysayer about Eric trying to target the DIR/GUE segment with it, and I did suggest that he stop trying to convince people that own wings that are not compatible with the Freedom plate that they should buy one.

At a minimum, suggested that he stop getting frustrated when these people don't want to buy a plate that is not compatible with the rest of their gear or their style of diving... especially when that segment is, by his own admission, negligible in size.

adurso - PM with your shipping address.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2013 at 11:08 PM ----------

BTW, the name "Gypsyblood Dive" has to be the worst name I ever heard for a dive charter operation. I hope you were not the one that thought that name up.

No, I didn't name the boat Gypsy Blood. The original owner did, and the current owner knows you don't change the name of a boat. I guess the original owner could have called it "Wanna Dive" or "Scuba Doo" or any of the other great names that grace the sterns of hundreds of dive boats all over the world, but instead he named it as an homage of sorts to his brother, as I understand the story.

I do agree that suggesting you take a hot knife to your Eclipse wing is a bit over the top. Personally I would not modify a wing out of safety concerns and resale value. However, I believe you brought up the Halcyon issue.

Regardless of your background you are but one data point on Scubaboard. GUE training is not brand specific, so as a DIR/GUE diver your wing is incompatible with the Freedom Plate but for others it will work. I think he wants to target technical divers because he believes they are more inclined to spend money on an expensive plate than your average recreational diver.

I hope he does well but he needs to do his homework. About 10 years ago there was a person selling a single tank setup called a Jet Harness. It was essentially a flat plate with either a HOG or custom harness. From my understanding people liked the product but he is no longer in business. Eric should talk to the owner.

I've never been a naysayer about the product, and I don't think I ever suggested that Eric re-engineer it.

I've been a naysayer about Eric trying to target the DIR/GUE segment with it, and I did suggest that he stop trying to convince people that own wings that are not compatible with the Freedom plate that they should buy one.

At a minimum, suggested that he stop getting frustrated when these people don't want to buy a plate that is not compatible with the rest of their gear or their style of diving... especially when that segment is, by his own admission, negligible in size.

adurso - PM with your shipping address.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2013 at 11:08 PM ----------

No, I didn't name the boat Gypsy Blood. The original owner did, and the current owner knows you don't change the name of a boat. I guess the original owner could have called it "Wanna Dive" or "Scuba Doo" or any of the other great names that grace the sterns of hundreds of dive boats all over the world, but instead he named it as an homage of sorts to his brother, as I understand the story.

PM sent, thanks

So his brother was a bloody Gypsy? It is a silly name for a boat and boats/ships do get renamed. For example, most (if not all) countries rename the Ex-US Navy ships that get passed to them. But the Captain does not need to name his operation the same name as the boat. He could have called it Dive Jersey or something like that.

So his brother was a bloody Gypsy? It is a silly name for a boat and boats/ships do get renamed. For example, most (if not all) countries rename the Ex-US Navy ships that get passed to them. But the Captain does not need to name his operation the same name as the boat. He could have called it Dive Jersey or something like that.

There maybe a very good reason/story behind the name which is/was important to original owner and to call it "silly" could be disrespectful to someone's memory. Just saying.

---------- Post added November 6th, 2013 at 02:01 AM ----------

The multi-billion dollar brands I was referencing were the clients I work with, not Halcyon. (Though I'd happily take them on as a client.)

Your comments about features and design of competitive products are fine. It's the sarcasm and veiled insults that are turn-offs. The dig I was pointing out was the one at "any self-respecting single tank diver" and what they should know. The tacit implication is that someone that dives such a product doesn't rise to your definition of "self-respecting" diver. The fact that we're nine days into this thread and you still don't see how this comes across is telling.

Yes, I take providing marketing advice "way too seriously" for some folks. I've worked with start ups who "get it" and become billion-dollar brands. I've also seen billion-dollar brands not get it and go out of business. The former tend to listen to the customer before talking to them. The latter often touts a desire to "say it like it is" before talking over the customer.

If you can PM me your address I'll get the plate I have back to you.

If I PM you my address will you send it to me? I'll pay postage...I want one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom