Why isn't the Freedom Plate DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Maybe somebody who knows could please tell me why my Freedom Plate is not DIR compliant?

It takes the exact same webbing as other plates.
You can place all D-rings exactly like other plates.
It has spacing for 2 cam bands just like other plates.
Any wing with slots can be used with like other plates.
A can light can be placed exactly like other plates.

The only thing it can not do is mount doubles. But not all people following the DIR philosophy dive doubles.
You can also not use a STA with it, but that is a bonus in my book because that means less parts and less crap to lose.

So why isn't it DIR compliant then?

Discuss.

Here.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 798
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 710
Well the problem is obvious. You have a d-ring on the right side waist belt and therefore likely will die if you try to dive that contraption. :wink:

Last edited:
Again, who is saying its not DIR compliant? And why do you care?
I was told that by a GUE student that his instructor told him it was not going to work and it was not DIR compliant for his class.
I will out that person later if necessary but not for now.
The reason I care is because there is a pool of potential customers that might or will be told that they can not use a Freedom Plate if they want to be DIR. Therefore somebody who only wants to dive single tanks that has been looking into DIR type fundies classes may get steered away from my product simply because of heresay information.
I would like to find out once and for all and clear the air so we can move on.

If I remember correctly the only requirement regarding the plates for GuE class was that it should be a rigid plate with continuous webbing. I personally do not see issues with the plate for a rec level with no doubles.

Back
Top Bottom