Halcyon Carbon Fiber STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently I discovered that my cheap Blue Reef SS backplate with my Halcyon single tank wing (the one with cam band holes!) causes my tank to be crooked, therefore I now have to buy a STA. Why the hell wouldn’t Halcyon put integrated STA bars on the wing?!?

I don’t want a heavy bulky one, so I’m looking at the Halcyon carbon fiber STA since it weighs less and appears to place the tank closer to the body, which I prefer.

The problem is I can’t find anywhere online that can confirm if this STA is compatible with non-Halcyon plates or any reviews. It looks like it isn’t a popular product at least on this forum.

Does anyone have experience with it? I can’t see a reason why it would not work with any backplate since it’s bolted in.

i would just look at a lightweight aluminum sta or the oxycheq soft sta instead of spending a bunch of extra money for CF. hole spacing is standard so outside of a few european manufacturers that decided to use 280mm instead of 11 inches, you should be cross compatible.

For something so basic and simple like a STA I just went with a China ebay special. The thing weighs 5oz not to sure how much lighter you want then that. Yeah maybe a fancy carbon one is 1-2oz lighter but can anyone honestly say they can feel the difference of 1-2oz. Plus these have a slotted hole on the bottom of universal backplate fitment.

Not to sure why anyone would spend $140+ on a STA

1686100192485.png

I don’t want a heavy bulky one, so I’m looking at the Halcyon carbon fiber STA since it weighs less and appears to place the tank closer to the body, which I prefer.

The problem is I can’t find anywhere online that can confirm if this STA is compatible with non-Halcyon plates or any reviews. It looks like it isn’t a popular product at least on this forum.

Does anyone have experience with it? I can’t see a reason why it would not work with any backplate since it’s bolted in.
I’m not aware of a Halcyon carbon fiber STA, maybe it’s new?

Or are you maybe confused about it? The carbon fiber plate has the channels to support single tanks built into it, it’s not a separate piece you can purchase.

Aside from that, the standard STA could have a thinner profile, but it’s built that way to hold an optional weight that is slotted in there. Mine is not weighted and I’ve been using it for about 13 years, although it could have the cylinder closer to the body, not being that has never been a problem, the wing supports the cylinder well so there’s no “rocking”. An STA is also nice as it holds the whole system together nicely and tidy when not attached to a cylinder.

Or are you maybe confused about it? The carbon fiber plate has the channels to support single tanks built into it, it’s not a separate piece you can purchase.

Aside from that, the standard STA could have a thinner profile, but it’s built that way to hold an optional weight that is slotted in there. Mine is not weighted and I’ve been using it for about 13 years, although it could have the cylinder closer to the body, not being that has never been a problem, the wing supports the cylinder well so there’s no “rocking”. An STA is also nice as it holds the whole system together nicely and tidy when not attached to a cylinder.
Halcyon does sell a carbon fiber STA.

They have a CF STA; see below image:

Halcyon CF STA.jpeg

The
For something so basic and simple like a STA I just went with a China ebay special. The thing weighs 5oz not to sure how much lighter you want then that. Yeah maybe a fancy carbon one is 1-2oz lighter but can anyone honestly say they can feel the difference of 1-2oz. Plus these have a slotted hole on the bottom of universal backplate fitment.

Not to sure why anyone would spend $140+ on a STA

View attachment 786822
Halcyon CF STA has more camband placement options than this one and also has a slotted hole. I have one and bought it as I like Halcyon quality and it’s a nice light and low profile STA and I can afford the higher cost.

The

Halcyon CF STA has more camband placement options than this one and also has a slotted hole. I have one and bought it as I like Halcyon quality and it’s a nice light and low profile STA and I can afford the higher cost.
Do you use the inner camband options, or only the outside ones? It would actually be advantageous for me to use the top one, and the middle one from the bottom

Back
Top Bottom