Why isn't the Freedom Plate DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric, what if you just marked it towards single tank divers and an awesome alternative to a regular BC and didn't worry about if GUE/DIR gives it the nod of approval? I think you've got a fine product that will sell by its own merits. It doesn't 'need' approval, in my opinion.

Its got a niche (single tank OW diving) and DIR is just a bit more broad than that. That doesn't take anything away from your product, however.

I have a feeling they will probably still turn their noses up at it even if it can do everything they need it to do just based on Dogma.
I can already see that to convert the plate the way it needs to be will take away from the simplicity and streamlined design I already have for using singles. There are more single tank users out there than double tank users, I'll bet you 100 to 1.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree entirely. At minimum, you ougthta stop casting aspirtions at people with phrases like "turn up their nose" or "too rigid" or "dogma." From a marketing standpoint, you're the one being "too rigid" and the one who is "turning up their nose" at the preference of people who you seem to think are your customers. Smart marketing starts with considering who is your target audience, within the total universe, that has a need that your product meet, and then delivering your product to that target audience. Poor marketing starts with someone having a product in hand, who then gets confused/mad/frustrated that it doesn't appeal to 100% of potential buyers.

As you said, single-tank recreational divers outnumber GUE/Tech/Doubles divers 100 to 1 --- so why on earth are you worried about getting your product to appeal to the 1 at the expense of the 100. From a marketing perspective you've got a product that is differentiated entirely. From a positioning/target market perspective you've got a marketer's dream: A product that specifically and uniquely meets the need of a large segment of the audience. However you're making the classic marketing-amature mistake of trying to create a product that appeals to everyone. It's not possible. Even if it were possible, it's not desirable. (Hell, having the "GUE stamp of approval" would probably cost you more customers than you would gain given the disdain that many folks have for anything remotely DIR.

Think "un-cola" in this case. You've got the "un-plate" my friend! The Freedom Plate could be "the backplate for people who don't want the xxxxx of a backplate." (Whatever xxxxxxx may be, you've "freed" divers from that.) That's a much better positioning than being "a lesser backplate that is potentially appealing to a subset of people who don't really like my product, and aready own several competitve products, but damn-it, I'm sure I can convince them they have an occasional need for mine."

I think you're barking up the wrong tree entirely. At minimum, you ougthta stop casting aspirtions at people with phrases like "turn up their nose" or "too rigid" or "dogma." From a marketing standpoint, you're the one being "too rigid" and the one who is "turning up their nose" at the preference of people who you seem to think are your customers. Smart marketing starts with considering who is your target audience, within the total universe, that has a need that your product meet, and then delivering your product to that target audience. Poor marketing starts with someone having a product in hand, who then gets confused/mad/frustrated that it doesn't appeal to 100% of potential buyers.

As you said, single-tank recreational divers outnumber GUE/Tech/Doubles divers 100 to 1 --- so why on earth are you worried about getting your product to appeal to the 1 at the expense of the 100. From a marketing perspective you've got a product that is differentiated entirely. From a positioning/target market perspective you've got a marketer's dream: A product that specifically and uniquely meets the need of a large segment of the audience. However you're making the classic marketing-amature mistake of trying to create a product that appeals to everyone. It's not possible. Even if it were possible, it's not desirable. (Hell, having the "GUE stamp of approval" would probably cost you more customers than you would gain given the disdain that many folks have for anything remotely DIR.

Think "un-cola" in this case. You've got the "un-plate" my friend! The Freedom Plate could be "the backplate for people who don't want the xxxxx of a backplate." (Whatever xxxxxxx may be, you've "freed" divers from that.) That's a much better positioning than being "a lesser backplate that is potentially appealing to a subset of people who don't really like my product, and aready own several competitve products, but damn-it, I'm sure I can convince them they have an occasional need for mine."

I think RJP has the best summation of this thread, HANDS DOWN. You have a product that a bunch of people on this thread, and elsewhere, LOVE ! Market it, sell it, go for it !! You already have happy customers & users; who cares if you "hear back from the man himself", whether he likes it or it's "good enough for the less than 1%" of divers out there. Do you think Steve Jobs was "waiting to hear back from the man himself", if the iPhone was an acceptable device for cell phone users before it hit the market ? Look what happened, just sayin'. Again, there are already divers using your BP, and they swear by it ! What more could you ask for :)

Its got a niche (single tank OW diving) and DIR is just a bit more broad than that. That doesn't take anything away from your product, however.

As a marketing and advertising professional the first thing I do with my clients is provide a French lesson.

Niche does not mean "small marketing opportunity." It's derivation is from a French word close to "nest" but came to common use in the 1600 to describe a "special, well-defined place" to display a work of art other item of value.

Here's a Niche:

niche.gif

Every single product in the world should be a "niche" product, in that they should be intended for "a specific, well-defined market."

If you ask anyone at Procter & Gamble they will tell you that Tide detergent is a niche product. And I don't mean because in the grand scheme of things it has less than 5% of the total laundry detergent marketshare. I mean because in the true sense of the word "niche" it has a special, well-defined place" in the market - Tide is for mothers who care how their families look in public.

Interesting.

Wouldn't "single tank OW divers who want something different/better than a jacket BC" be specified and well-defined?

Interesting.

Wouldn't "single tank OW divers who want something different/better than a jacket BC" be specified and well-defined?

Not really. Why? It's not "well-defined enough" in that it's not differentiated vs a standard BP. We're talking about a subset of the group you defined. All that plus "...who don't want a traditional BP." In fact I would try to make it insight based "...but feel that a traditional BP is too tech" or "...too uncomfortable" or similar.

What is the problem the customer has that your product can solve?

PS - marketers try to never use the word "better" because that leads to false judgements. A product is not necessarily "better" than another. It just meets different needs, or is for a different customer, or occasion, or at a different price point. A hammer is not better than a drill bit. It just meets a different need.

Last edited:
I guess by that logic, marketing a backplate to all scuba divers would be a niche market, since scuba divers is both specific and well-defined :)

It's not dogma, Eric. And I doubt any GUE instructor would look at a Freedom Plate that a student was using and tell the student to get rid of it. But if a student came to the instructor to ask what plate he should buy, I doubt it would be recommended, for the reasons already discussed.

Yes, you have to buy a different wing for singles and doubles. But that's because no wing does both well. There are, however, many plates out there that go equally well in singles, doubles, and argon and stages. Why would an instructor specifically recommend one that doesn't?

The fact that Halcyon wings don't fit on it is a non-issue. After eight years in the GUE community, and taking a number of classes, I have YET to see an instructor reject a piece of equipment because it wasn't Halcyon. It's a perception that is out there, but it just isn't true.

I guess by that logic, marketing a backplate to all scuba divers would be a niche market, since scuba divers is both specific and well-defined :)

In marketing, nothing with the word "all" in it is well-defined.

:d

Eric: I agree that targeting divers who are contemplating switching to, or at least learning about, doubles may not be your best opportunity. Without a big investment in tooling to reduce your unit cost, advertising to get the word out, and a broad product line I fear that selling through dive shops is going to be very difficult. Fortunately this is the age of the Internet.

I am also skeptical dropping lots of money on tooling makes sense since the product is not easily protected. There is way too much “prior art” for a meaningful patent IMHO. The biggest problem I see is that large manufacturers will take notice of the market you have worked years to develop and simply copy your hard work.

It may be to your advantage to remain a small niche selling a fine hand-crafted product, incrementally reducing your costs along the way. You are well on your way to making the Freedom Plate an object of desire in addition to a great product to dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom