Why is someone moving al the FL threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The subforum question came up in the site support forum recently. This was NetDoc's answer to the subforum question - I think it's a good one, all things considered.

We are visiting this very suggestion... but are working through some technical issues FIRST! All changes are on hold until we get these technical issues sorted out.

I think Jenny was saying she made a mistake due to dates being included in the thread titles. I don't think things have changed, just a boo-boo.

The subforum thing may happen one of these days but until then, I'll continue to post the way I have been.

Missdirected:
Hence the continuing Tampa thread - which is past, present, and future dives.

It seems as though this method has worked well for you guys
icon14.gif
. Believe me, I'm not knocking on anything you folks are doing.

I just don't see it as an answer for an area that stretches literally several hundred miles on the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico, not to mention 100s of sites 20 miles + offshore and closer, and all the inland springs within...

mike_s:
BTW: The reason there are dates on these, is because they are sites that are dives that often. Hence you can see the reason to put a date often in the subject since it's often that people have seperate threads going about diving at a location on multiple different dates/weekends.

Completely true! Its very important to get the latest info on some of these sites as conditions and accessibility changes for one reason or another on alot of these sites often.

SeaYoda:
I think Jenny was saying she made a mistake due to dates being included in the thread titles. I don't think things have changed, just a boo-boo.

If thats the case, I'll be the first to admit that I misunderstood her comment and I'll bow out. :14:

What about splitting the local dive site sticky into several sticky threads? A mod could create a Panhandle sticky, a Tampa sticky, a Keys sticky, a Ft. Lauderdale sticky, and a Springs sticky! This could be the stickiest forum on the Board! :D

Seriously, instead of several subforums, how about a Florida Dive Areas subforum with several sticky threads for the different geographic areas?

There has been talk about splitting the Florida Conchs. Mostly the reasons were so that some of the less popular diving spots are not excluded or overlooked. The problem is that so many people are willing to travel from one end of the state to the other and some do so on a regular basis. By splitting the Conchs up, it is actually creating a bigger mess when trying to find a thread, or reading up on the local diving. Besides, how would it get split? By location or by diving speciality? The cavers would want their own forum, the west coast wants theirs, the panhandle wants theirs, then the southwest would want one, and SE and Keys should also be seperate then also. OOps, dont forget the mid atlantic up to Jacksonville. The hunters would want one, the shark tooth divers want one.. and the list goes on and on. See the problem?
The key is to clearly state in the thread title what the topic is about. We are a very active forum, but distance wise, only 10 hrs or so seperates us. Me personally, I dive all over the state, and LIKE reading the posts. If the state were split up, I probably would not read so much about the panhandle or daytona or other places. Heck, after reading the panhandle threads, I want to dive your neck of the woods!

Scuba_Jenny:
By splitting the Conchs up, it is actually creating a bigger mess when trying to find a thread, or reading up on the local diving.

yup... we had to go searching for those threads that were moved so we know what you mean. (just a little "moved thread humor". ) :)

Dive-aholic:
What about splitting the local dive site sticky into several sticky threads? A mod could create a Panhandle sticky, a Tampa sticky, a Keys sticky, a Ft. Lauderdale sticky, and a Springs sticky! This could be the stickiest forum on the Board! :D

Seriously, instead of several subforums, how about a Florida Dive Areas subforum with several sticky threads for the different geographic areas?

IMO, too much info in singular threads and it would create a problem with finding specific info on a specific site thats current.

Scuba_Jenny:
There has been talk about splitting the Florida Conchs. Mostly the reasons were so that some of the less popular diving spots are not excluded or overlooked. The problem is that so many people are willing to travel from one end of the state to the other and some do so on a regular basis. By splitting the Conchs up, it is actually creating a bigger mess when trying to find a thread, or reading up on the local diving. Besides, how would it get split? By location or by diving speciality? The cavers would want their own forum, the west coast wants theirs, the panhandle wants theirs, then the southwest would want one, and SE and Keys should also be seperate then also. OOps, dont forget the mid atlantic up to Jacksonville. The hunters would want one, the shark tooth divers want one.. and the list goes on and on. See the problem?

I definately see where you are coming from here. There truly are pro's and con's to regional subforums and I honestly cannot decide which I'd rather. I enjoy reading about other people's dives throughout FL as they can definately persuade me to get deeper into FL on my vacations.

Scuba_Jenny:
The key is to clearly state in the thread title what the topic is about. We are a very active forum, but distance wise, only 10 hrs or so seperates us. Me personally, I dive all over the state, and LIKE reading the posts. If the state were split up, I probably would not read so much about the panhandle or daytona or other places. Heck, after reading the panhandle threads, I want to dive your neck of the woods!

I'm the same way, but this confuses me on why you moved threads clearly marked 'Dive Reports'. Who goes to a subforum designated for 'upcoming' dives to look at reports for dives that have already happened? I don't, and I worry fewer people will find them than if they are in the main forum. Whether intentional or not, we were split off...

Bug - one thing we have had to do is stay in touch on our thread. That has been key. As it stands now the best someone can do if they want info, on a site in the Greater Tampa Area, is ask one of us. :ne_nau: At least for now - if that helps anyone.

I liked the old "rolling sticky" idea. FWIW.

Scuba_Jenny:
The cavers would want their own forum, the west coast wants theirs, the panhandle wants theirs, then the southwest would want one, and SE and Keys should also be seperate then also. OOps, dont forget the mid atlantic up to Jacksonville. The hunters would want one, the shark tooth divers want one.. and the list goes on and on. See the problem?

Scuba_Jenny, I respectfully disagree. The hunters, cavers, and the shark tooth divers have forums in other areas of the board. As i've said before. Florida has 4 distinct areas. Panhandle, west coast, keys, east coast. unlike a state such as New Jersey with one coast diving basically the same ocean, florida's coasts are very different. I understand that it's more of an administrative headache, but thats easily solved by putting in a few more mods ( i even volunteered). ScubaBoard like any other business needs to expand to accomadate it's customer base's needs, and there really isn't any good reason not to.

It's really very simple. you keep the regular conch area, and dive trip subforum intact, just add the subforums for the 4 parts of the state. How hard is that. My .02 cents.

Missdirected:
Bug - one thing we have had to do is stay in touch on our thread. That has been key. As it stands now the best someone can do if they want info, on a site in the Greater Tampa Area, is ask one of us. :ne_nau: At least for now - if that helps anyone.

I liked the old "rolling sticky" idea. FWIW.

It does seem to be working for you guys in the Tampa area.

Keep in mind that we have several locales within the panhandle with as many dive oportunities as you're one area. It would be difficult to stay in touch with so much info.

Well, first let me state I don't care if Florida is split into multiple forums or not. I really don't think it matters one way or the other.

Scuba_Jenny:
There has been talk about splitting the Florida Conchs. Mostly the reasons were so that some of the less popular diving spots are not excluded or overlooked. The problem is that so many people are willing to travel from one end of the state to the other and some do so on a regular basis. By splitting the Conchs up, it is actually creating a bigger mess when trying to find a thread, or reading up on the local diving.

A search can include child forums, how would they be harder to find?

Scuba_Jenny:
Besides, how would it get split? By location or by diving speciality? The cavers would want their own forum, the west coast wants theirs, the panhandle wants theirs, then the southwest would want one, and SE and Keys should also be seperate then also. OOps, dont forget the mid atlantic up to Jacksonville. The hunters would want one, the shark tooth divers want one.. and the list goes on and on. See the problem?

People are asking for a split by location. If it is split, it should be by regions.

Scuba_Jenny:
The key is to clearly state in the thread title what the topic is about. We are a very active forum, but distance wise, only 10 hrs or so seperates us. Me personally, I dive all over the state, and LIKE reading the posts.

You've either not made the drive from P'cola to Key West or you drive a heck of a lot faster than me.

Scuba_Jenny:
If the state were split up, I probably would not read so much about the panhandle or daytona or other places. Heck, after reading the panhandle threads, I want to dive your neck of the woods!

Why would you stop reading the threads? I often don't know what forum a thread is in which is why I really don't care if a split is made.

N@rco$i$:
the shark tooth divers have forums in other areas of the board.

We do? Where? Not that I want one, I don't, I just wasn't aware we had one.

It seems to me the Tampa threads make it harder to get info. One has to wade through lots of fluff to find dive info. Jenny's suggestion, "The key is to clearly state in the thread title what the topic is about," is the way to go regardless of the decision on splitting the state.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom