Why is someone moving al the FL threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Not me...I'd PM one of the many mods from FL and see what they know...
Thanks for jumping in and giving us some direction.

SuPrBuGmAn:
If you need info or current conditions on a site that can vary greatly within a week or two, you'd have to wade through several pages of info and banter on other sites, past dives, non-dive related stuff, ect.

Between the numerous offshore dives; shallow, deep, tech, rec and the many many springs; ow, cave, cavern, deep, long, ect. A single thread would get incredibly congested... and thats if it stays dive related - which it won't alot of times. Take any of the bigger threads that are currently active as an example of that.

You don't have to wade through anything........PM someone who who lives in that area and they can give you report on current conditions.

I moved a few threads today that were trip reports. They had dates, so I moved them to the Trips forum. There was not any favortism at all. If anything, it was a time issue. So sorry if I offended anybody, that was not the intent.
The forum needs a good dusting and cleaning, of which I intend to do when I am not diving, working, commuting, diving, cleaning the house, pulling weeds, going to church, toting the rum tote, diving, etc. :D So, please excuse the mess.

Everyone in Tampa may know the conditions on every divesite in Tampa, but not everyone in the panhandle will know conditions on the acokeet 10 miles offshore PCB, or the current visibility at Becton Springs on Holmes Creek near Vernon, or current conditions and accessibility of Big Blue Spring off the Wacissa River, accessibility and current visibility and whether or not dredging is occuring at Ft Pickens Jetties.

The panhandle is far too diverse for a single thread. Sure, I can take a shot in the dark, PM someone who may or may not be able to help me, wait for them to get online, and hope they can help or send me to someone who can help. However, there is a search feature that can be incredibly useful if you aren't putting a tremendous amount and range of information in a single thread.

Surely the benefits of seperating this information is obvious?

Scuba_Jenny:
...There was not any favortism at all. If anything, it was a time issue. So sorry if I offended anybody, that was not the intent. ...
We know you're jealous down there in the real Florida :D.
No worries, we still claim you as part of the family.

Scuba_Jenny:
I moved a few threads today that were trip reports. They had dates, so I moved them to the Trips forum.

A trips forum for future trips according to its description. Not trying to step on any toes here, just stating the obvious. They won't get the views in the Upcoming Trips forum either, makes sharing the information and our stories difficult... I thought this is why the regional forums existed.

Meanwhile several trips are being planned in the main forum.

Maybe its just me, but I don't understand the reasoning. Perhaps the descriptions of these forums aren't as clear as I had originally thought? Still, no problems in the last ~3 years till now.

If the forum is getting cluttered, the answer is obvious. Regional FL subforums.

We've tried. U can speak to NetDoc if you would like - we have done that as well. Hence the continuing Tampa thread - which is past, present, and future dives.

I agree with the others here. Tampa needs it's own subforum. They shouldn't have to "seclude" themselves to a common thread.

Pan-handle needs it's own sub-forum. You've got Penscola, FWB, Destin, Panama City, Port St. Joe, Tallahasse, From the springs you've got Morrison, Vortex, Cypress, and more. The springs alone generate enough "thread" traffic for their own. forum.

Like Bugman said, if they are posted on the trips section people don't view them. If it's cluttered, then it's because it's "unorganized". Regional subforums are the solution. (Don't forget the Tampa folks too. They deserve recognition also.

BTW: The reason there are dates on these, is because they are sites that are dives that often. Hence you can see the reason to put a date often in the subject since it's often that people have seperate threads going about diving at a location on multiple different dates/weekends.

SuPrBuGmAn, I completely agree with you. I think you guys, the west coast, the keys, and the eastern part of the state should have a subforum each. However, You'd be surprised to see the backlash you'll get from the very people in those areas if you try for one. Trust me, i've felt the wrath both from people in florida and people with no stake in it who just wanted to stir the pot.

If you do decide to make a go of it I'd be willing to help work on it with you. Maybe if we have representation from all areas with a reasonable plan taken off-line to the elders we might have a chance, who knows. PM me if you want to get the ball rolling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom