Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba:
DIR divers are like Apple computers. Apple computers are standardized with limited hardware.

Duck, Apple computers now run Windows XP.. HMMM...

Now for the real test, put a wetsuit on your IBOOK, and throw it into a pool! If it grows Jet's, and does a modified Frog Kick, then your analogy is good! :D

amascuba:
DIR divers are like Apple computers. Apple computers are standardized with limited hardware. This allows Apple to write an operating system that isn't convoluted with driver support that it doesn't' mean. Which makes for simpler coding, which trickles down to a more stable platform.

The typical recreational diver is like a Windows computer. It lacks hardware standardization, which leads to more lines of code, which leads to more complication and a platform that isn't nearly as stable.

I'll duck for cover now. :)
Good analogy in that a vocal minority of Apple users see it more as a religion than a tool.

DIR is controversial because people love to argue, especially on the internet.

Rick Murchison:
I have not even mentioned "your ways" in what pisses me or anyone else off. It is, and I repeat, the put-down inherent in the term, that everyone who is "not DIR" is "not doing it right." It is no more complicated than that, and your attempts to shift the argument from the acronym to the practices is fallacious.
Rick

Then you really need to take it to JJ or GI3 and convince them to drop the term DIR. If they lead, we'll probably follow. I've already gone through my phase where I decided to stop identifying as 'DIR' diver on principle and instead identify as a GUE-trained diver precisely for the reasons that you've been all uptight about. After a round of tilting at windmills and I stopped and I've actually fallen so low I've stuck the dreaded TLA in my signature on this board. Get JJ to fix it if its so important because I can't...

So it would be confusing or misleading if someone asked me if I dive doing it right and I say yes, and when they ask who my DIR instructor was I would say I have PADI certification. "So who trained you?",..." me, I practiced and trained myself", "but you said your doing it right?",......" yes",...." but your not DIR!" "no...I mean yes I'm not DIR".....ugh.....

rjack321:
Its too bad you feel put down
HHHHhhhhaaarrrrr!
Nice shot! Off target, but a nice try.
My feelings are irrelevent here - the fact that I don't feel put down doesn't lessen the inherent put-down in the "you're not doing it right ("DIR")" statement.
Again, the question is "Why is DIR controversial?"
And again, the answer is still because of the put-down of all other divers inherent in the acronym.
Whether you agree with or like that answer doesn't really matter - it is the simple truth.
Rick

lamont:
Then you really need to take it to JJ or GI3 and convince them to drop the term DIR. If they lead, we'll probably follow. I've already gone through my phase where I decided to stop identifying as 'DIR' diver on principle and instead identify as a GUE-trained diver precisely for the reasons that you've been all uptight about. After a round of tilting at windmills and I stopped and I've actually fallen so low I've stuck the dreaded TLA in my signature on this board. Get JJ to fix it if its so important because I can't...

Probably? :wink:

Rick Murchison:
Whether you agree with or like that answer doesn't really matter - it is the simple truth.

Simple truth??? Since when is there a simple truth.

Sounds kinda lemming like to me :froggy:

Green_Manelishi:
Probably? :wink:
:rofl3:

rjack321:
Sounds kinda lemming like to me :froggy:

hey, did you know that lemmings don't really follow each other off cliffs?

they have poor vision, and sometimes fall into fjords by mistake ... but ... the connotation that lemmings are mindless crowd-followers is not at all true!

because ... i am a nerd...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom