Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
Lemming ... lemming ... lemming ... :wink:

I was once almost assimilated. Then a friend who is in fact GUE trained counseled me to "not be a dckhed knowitall dive nahtzee". So, I solo dive, my knife is too big and my DS is not a cave cut DUI trilam. Whatever. Life it too short to drink blended whisky (although that does explain the habit some have of adding ice and water) or to argue about DIR. ROCK ON !!!

I just bought a CF200. Clearly I am not properly utilizing my undergarment which is the only thing allowed to provide thermal warmth, and I'm probably crawling around on the bottom because otherwise I wouldn't want a tougher material than TLS350 trilam.

I have really fought the urge to post on this thread as I believe this entire thread doesn't follow the forums rules. But since it has gone on for so long now I have decided to chime in a bit.

DIR - the name - its a marketing slogan not any different than the DiveRite name or Padi's slogan "the way the world learns to dive"

People make it controversial - from both sides of the fence.

The concept is just that a concept. If you like the concept go for it, if you don't move on until you find the one that works for you.

GI3's rants don't help from my perspective. I have read a few of those and quite honestly I won't listen to anyone who gets so negative about others - not just in scuba but in any of lifes disciplines. But it's his choice to state what he wants, some will listen, some will not. At the end of the day I just go diving - my way, and diving is a dangerous sport - we all take our chances.

One thing that I find controversial is that in this forum, one is to never say anything anti-dir (and I understand how things used to be - I mean a counter opinion not an argumentative one) but in the same sticky it basically says to take the DIR concept - philosophy - and go post it in other forums. Seems a bit one sided.

Case in point - in the HOG forum someone will ask about were to place stages or deco bottles. There will always be one poster who will say "You should put them both on your left now, that way you won't have to re-learn later". Kind of implies we will all change at some point. Not really a HOG answer and its nice the poster feels strongly about his opinion, but this takes us back to "it's people" that make it controversial.

I do have one question - 2 months back I saw a GUE class at the Blue Grotto - all of the GUE instructors were wearing red/black dry suits - what happened to the all black thing? Of course colors wont save us, wont kill us, and don't help with the sac rate either....

What we need is a sub forum down under wine and cheese - a dir vs the world bashing forum. Then the 15 or so folks who really enjoy having at each other would have a place to go and the rest of us can concentrate on scuba:):popcorn:

Outside of the internet this really isn't an issue at all:D

Cheers

Steve

Gilless:
I do have one question - 2 months back I saw a GUE class at the Blue Grotto - all of the GUE instructors were wearing red/black dry suits - what happened to the all black thing? Of course colors wont save us, wont kill us, and don't help with the sac rate either....

Red is the New Black.

lamont:
I just bought a CF200. Clearly I am not properly utilizing my undergarment which is the only thing allowed to provide thermal warmth, and I'm probably crawling around on the bottom because otherwise I wouldn't want a tougher material than TLS350 trilam.

I see nothing wrong with crawling around on the bottom. During my last dive that's what I spent most of my time, descent and ascent excepted, doing because otherwise I was pushed off the work site by the current.

Gilless:
Hmm Andy you are not researching this post enough

The OP is a "she" not a he......

i knew that... but

but how else was i to check if you were paying attention unless i pretended not to know?

(high five)

:eyebrow:

As I understand it, the "all black" thing is mainly an internet joke. I believe that red has been used in the WKPP for a long time due to filming purposes but don't quote me on that.

Personally I prefer all black dive equipment. I think it looks nice, doesn't fade too much, and isn't distracting like other colors (read: neon pink). If other people want to wear colors, go for it.

Personally I prefer all black dive equipment. I think it looks nice, doesn't fade too much, and isn't distracting like other colors

amen.

colors are distracting unless they are fish or tube corals. Especially when you are trying to take pictures. One reason I like to shoot "DIR" divers and also they have their arms and legs under control. Just wish they would stretch out a tad when gliding over a shallow reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom