Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I've met arrogant, egotistical divers who were trained by GUE.
I've met arrogant, egotistical divers who were trained by NAUI Tech.
I've met arrogant, egotistical divers who were trained by IANTD.

And the most arrogant, egotistical diver I have ever met is a PADI Master Instructor who's been teaching since regulators were invented, doesn't know squat beyond recreational level diving, and hasn't learned anything new in at least 40 years.

Why waste time getting worked up by any of them? It ain't worth the effort ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
This is a very good point. There are good and bad in all disciplines.

DIR divers are like Apple computers. Apple computers are standardized with limited hardware. This allows Apple to write an operating system that isn't convoluted with driver support that it doesn't' mean. Which makes for simpler coding, which trickles down to a more stable platform.

The typical recreational diver is like a Windows computer. It lacks hardware standardization, which leads to more lines of code, which leads to more complication and a platform that isn't nearly as stable.

I'll duck for cover now. :)

amascuba:
DIR divers are like Apple computers. Apple computers are standardized with limited hardware. This allows Apple to write an operating system that isn't convoluted with driver support that it doesn't' mean. Which makes for simpler coding, which trickles down to a more stable platform.

The typical recreational diver is like a Windows computer. It lacks hardware standardization, which leads to more lines of code, which leads to more complication and a platform that isn't nearly as stable.

Time for a blue screen of death :mooner:

*Floater*:
For example, if the NE wreck divers had advanced their favorite dive practices and gear configurations into general sport, deco and overhead environment diving with strictness, started their own agency based on these principles and went around the internet giving advice in good faith based on their beliefs then I'm sure you'd get the same reaction.

Does that mean that I'm NEWD?

Are you NEWD? I only dive NEWD. If you aren't NEWD, I won't dive with you.

lamont:
You know the only time I think about what DIR means anymore, beyond it being three letters that labels a system of diving, is on the net in threads like this. And it is always people who don't dive DIR who bring it up.
So the controversy is solely generated by "people who don't dive doing it right."
Got it.
Rick

lamont:
And if all the DIR divers only read those different forums we'd change our ways and stop diving DIR and pissing you off? Maybe you should make it a little easier to find the basic scuba discussion forum or the tanks and bands forum on scubaboard because I'm a little bit slow with computers and never seem to see those threads... The admins should stop hiding them away from the public...
I have not even mentioned "your ways" in what pisses me or anyone else off. It is, and I repeat, the put-down inherent in the term, that everyone who is "not DIR" is "not doing it right." It is no more complicated than that, and your attempts to shift the argument from the acronym to the practices is fallacious.
Rick

amascuba:

Well, your metaphor is not without merit, but that ain't what ticks folks off about "DIR."
Rick

lamont:
GUE exists to train divers up to tech 2 and/or cave 2. It doesn't exist to train recreational divers. They do have on paper a recreational OW course, but we've still never seen anyone with a GUE OW c-card show up and that whole thing is very much like watching a pig attempting to sing.
A very valid point that is often lost. While GUE trains people who never go beyond DIRf, their teaching is based on the assumption that the students will progress further into tech and/or cave diving. Making things exponentially harder by adding multiple ways to do something just so it doesn't seem elitist. If they go that route, you can bet I won't be labeling myself as a GUE diver.

GUE is not out to compete with PADI or NAUI and cert as many people as possible. Therefore, they really don't do any diservice to those that want to learn some DIR light method of diving. It's not up to them to do it and they really don't care. And, in truth, they don't care one bit about conversations like this. The instructors that they have are busy enough teaching the people that want to be taught in the GUE way. They have no real need to do any sort of reach-out program. Most divers have no clue who they are anyway.

Chris

Soggy:
Does that mean that I'm NEWD?

Are you NEWD? I only dive NEWD. If you aren't NEWD, I won't dive with you.

Love to, but Brrrrrr

Rick Murchison:
I have not even mentioned "your ways" in what pisses me or anyone else off. It is, and I repeat, the put-down inherent in the term, that everyone who is "not DIR" is "not doing it right." It is no more complicated than that, and your attempts to shift the argument from the acronym to the practices is fallacious.
Rick

Its too bad you feel put down

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom