Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
give me a ton of money
NO! I prefer to screw up on my own and learn from my own mistakes (if I live long enough).

I don’t know much at all about DIR other than what little I’ve read or heard from those who may or may not be DIR, but your comment about thinking divers has me curious. Many of us believe that DIR divers must all have the same equipment in the same configuration and I can understand that because I know if I step into the cockpit of a SW Airlines 737 everyone will look exactly the same. On the other hand I know that other 737s will look a little different – not better or worse – and everyone gains by some that try new and different ways of doing things. I have 3 sets of fins and 2 masks that I pick from depending on the dive I’m doing, so where does the ruling of what is the “correct” equipment come from and how would new equipment ever be evaluated and tested if not for all those not doing it right divers and manufactures?

Am I really a thinking diver if I don’t try new and different equipment?

Bill51:
Am I really a thinking diver if I don’t try new and different equipment?

i will let DIR people answer (as i freely admit i am not DIR)

but ...

you can try any equipment you want within parameters. for example, no one tells you which bp/wings to get. they do ask that you have a bp/wings.

no one tells you which regs to get. they do suggest certain types and models.

you just need to understand the goals of DIR to understand the role of similar equipment configurations

I do understand that Rick and I should have said in open forum, not here.

Diver Dennis:
I do understand that Rick and I should have said in open forum, not here.
And the open forums are positively filled with sound arguments for "other than 'DIR' " ways and things.
Maybe I'm missing your point :)
Rick

H2Andy:
i don't think that if i say "I am doing it right" that implies that is the only way to do it right, or that everybody else is doing it wrong

While I see your point, and agree in some area's, DIR IMO does not fall into that category. DIR has a specific set of equipment configuration rules, and if you are not following those (Splits, BackInflate BC's, shorter hoses) you are not DIR. If you are not Doing it right, what is the alternative? Not much of a leap to suggest if you are not doing it right, you are doing it wrong.

For me it comes down to how strict is the definition. Living right for some could be daily exercise which is a broad definition, and leaves the door open for many options. If one defines the RIGHT daily exercise as 1 hour of running on a treadmill followed by 1 hour of free weight lifting, now the door is closed, and by definition if you are not doing exactly that, you are NOT doing it right.

DIR's definition of RIGHT is where I think DIR is so closed, and this adds to controversy. Their definition of right ignores a LOT of equipment out there that performs safely, and works for 99%+ of the divers who have no GUE/DIR training.

H2Andy:
well, then they are jerks and should not be listened to, no matter what their party affiliation

i suspect they were jerks when they learned how to dive, and will continue to be jerks for the rest of their lives
So I've been told :D

Sorry Rick, I just meant that that DIR could do a lot for themselves my muzzling the few vocal radicals out there. There have been lots of good threads about DIR that degenerate in open forum. Some of those could been diffused by a real DIR person stepping in and telling the DIR wannabe to cool their jets. It would send a message. I have tried in threads to cool the jets of the anti-DIR zealots. But this is the internet and some folks just want to set some fires.

well put Ron

Rick Murchison:
So rebreather divers are not doing it right, Chris?
Who was your instructor?
(see how that confrontation/controversy thing works?)
Rick

You know the only time I think about what DIR means anymore, beyond it being three letters that labels a system of diving, is on the net in threads like this. And it is always people who don't dive DIR who bring it up.

H2Andy:
you can try any equipment you want within parameters. for example, no one tells you which bp/wings to get. they do ask that you have a bp/wings.

no one tells you which regs to get. they do suggest certain types and models.

you just need to understand the goals of DIR to understand the role of similar equipment configurations

I'm also NOT DIR trained, I did however adopt their configuration for a cold water BP/W setup as it works well for me. I dive it with Splits! :mooner:

But DIR is that Narrow, try a Wing with Bungies in a DIRF class. Try diving Steel without redundant buoyancy controls. DIR has very specific and narrow rules about what is and is not DIR.

I have no bias against DIR trained divers, and find a lot of the concepts (most of which are not things they invented) sound. I dive with and respect many DIR trained divers. OTOH, I think it is sad that this agency does not offer training to a broader audience due to equipment bias that is somewhat pointless for most recreational divers.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom