Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
No one that I know likes to hang around people who tell them "you're not doing it right,"

no one is telling you that. that's what you're hearing

(regarding the name)

they are two different things

Some are Andy. I've seen it here.

Rick Murchison:
Yep, the DIR controversy is everybody else's fault for being so insecure and thin skinned, not ours, who are, after all, just doing it right. Oh, yeah!
Thanks for the great example, Soggy :)
Rick

Always glad to help, Rick! :wink:

Diver Dennis:
Some are Andy. I've seen it here.

well, then they are jerks and should not be listened to, no matter what their party affiliation

i suspect they were jerks when they learned how to dive, and will continue to be jerks for the rest of their lives

ain't nothing that can be done about taht, brother

the Catholic church is having this little problem with pedofile priests... you might have heard :wink:

Am I the only person who thinks GI is a major hoot? I mean, the guy makes some good points in some very colorful writings. It sure makes for some interesting reading and discussions. There is something to be said for sensationalism and the powerful pull it has on people to join the debate. And the debate is educational, many times.

Long live colorful controversial people!

ah... i think he's a major buttmunch, personally ...

of course, he's done great thigns, blah blah blah ... of course he has.

he just comes across as a jerk of the first magnitude

Diver Dennis:
Exactly my point Chris. The few that are the vocal ones lead to the persecution of the whole. That is what the rest see and perceive that all solo divers are like that. Your right, it's not fair.
But my point is that the "few" you may be referring to may, in fact, not even be part of the whole. They are more than likely not DIR divers.

I do agree with Lynne that there can be a certain mindset that gets attracted to tech diving. People who espire to become the best at what they are doing may, in fact, be elitist.

H2Andy:
no one is telling you that. that's what you're hearing

(regarding the name)

they are two different things
The number one rule of communication is "the message received is the message." And when multiple recipients get the same message, for the transmitter to then say "it's your fault for not divining what I meant" - especially when the words are simple and clear, like claiming "that's not DIR" means something other than "that's not doing it right" - is just plain... well, it just doesn't hold up to any kind of logical scrutiny.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom