Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daedalus:
Wakulla Springs is owned by the people of Florida, and one of the purposes is for recreation, if anyone wants to recreate there in a safe manner they should be allowed. Please indulge me as to why diving in Wakulla is so much more different than diving in Eagles Nest as to demand so many miles of red tape?.

My point is, why ask me? Why don't you go to the public officials responsible and find out the answer for yourself. Then you would atleast have a real answer. It is far easier for people to sit back and make a generalized anti-dir statement, without having taken the time to find out if anything they are saying is true. There may be a reasonable explaination, but atleast having an answer would lend some credibility to these type of "I heard from a guy who heard from a guy" arguements.

lamont:
Have the rig, did the courses and do stuff that FULL-DIR would not do..? I dunno, I am sure there are many other DIR quotients out there.... :wink:

Diver Dennis:
Very true Christian and I think it is obvious through my posts that I am far from anti-DIR but in another post yesterday, you mentioned using the word "stroke" in anything but a humorous way is inflammatory. Well another poster, very DIR, uses that word here all the time. In fact I asked him a question point blank in a post just before yours and he declined to answer. There are others here as well. I have never met DIR divers in person that were at all nasty or elitist and I've been diving with quite a few, especially in Mexico. It is only here that I have met a few that make all the others look bad.

Now that is not to say there are not others just as bad on the other side but it used to be very frustrating to read bashing on either side. But it's the internet, right?
The word "stroke" carries a lot of baggage, but it is not a word that has been banned on ScubaBoard. I personally don't think that the word should be banned although there are some that think it should. I do think that using the word in a serious manner is inflammatory, but there are a lot of things that can be taken in that way.

I just think it's wise to carefully chose one's words in a medium that remains as a permanent record. I also think that when someone posts in a way that insults others that the point is lost and that it does a disservice to one's own message.

Christian

I'm not offended, I could not care less, but it sends a bad message for DIR. Heck, I have defended DIR against bashers here even though I'm not. That word is directly associated to DIR and when I see it used, I just shake my head when the diver who uses it wonders why they get an angry response and then replies "Why are you bashing DIR?".

DIR is going to have an image problem as long as the writings of GI3 are posted somewhere on the web.
I know GUE or DIR isn't GI. But he has set a tone that will be very hard for all the decent DIR divers to escape.

Daedalus:
"Scientific Diving" has always taken a backseat to "How Far We Got" in WKPP press releases from what I have seen.

Volunteer time and huge expense? This is something people do for recreation, its not philanthropy, even if crumbs of science are given to the state to legitimize the GUE monopoly of Wakulla.

Petitioning the right agencies would be simpler if the WKPP were not whispering in the ears of officials that everyone who has not invested thousands of dollars in GUE training was Doing it Wrong and would kill themselves.

Have you ever talked to the WKPP people or the state people to try and understand their position or do you just regurgitate what you've learned from your cave instructor who seems to have a hootie up the wango about the whole thing?

Adobo, I have about had enough of you bud. I have not been involved in this thread and was directed to your comments about me in this thread by others--many others who are tiring of you as well. I will appreciate if you not talk about me behind my back as I don't think I have of you or any one else. As to my comments, most understand they are tongue in cheek and none of them are posted in this DIR forum. Your exactly why I have a problem with DIR, specifically certain DIR divers. DIR is a good thing, I admire the effort to become a good diver and to push the envelope safely through DIR training and methods. I will thank you to leave me out of your agenda.

Edited to remove quote since Adobo apologized more or less below---please carry on gentleman---I depart quietly on my way, flutter kicking my Force Fins.

Y'all have a great New Year, all of you each and every single one.

N

caseybird:
DIR is going to have an image problem as long as the writings of GI3 are posted somewhere on the web.
I know GUE or DIR isn't GI. But he has set a tone that will be very hard for all the decent DIR divers to escape.

1. Decent DIR divers don't care. Decent DIR divers recognize the writings of GI3 for what they were and in the context they were written in.

2. George may not have to do with GUE, but DIR is as much George as it is JJ. If you don't think so, then you're not very up on your history of DIR.

Nemrod:
Adobo, I have about had enough of you bud. I have not been involved in this thread and was directed to your comments about me in this thread by others--many others who are tiring of you as well. I will appreciate if you not talk about me behind my back as I don't think I have of you or any one else. As to my comments, most understand they are tongue in cheek and none of them are posted in this DIR forum. Your exactly why I have a problem with DIR, specifically certain DIR divers. DIR is a good thing, I admire the effort to become a good diver and to push the envelope safely through DIR training and methods. I will thank you to leave me out of your agenda.

N

If I have misquoted you or misrepresented you in any way, I apologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom