Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
So rebreather divers are not doing it right, Chris?
they are doing it right for themselves. What works for me doesn't work for everyone. Some people just want to dive the way they do... and that is exactly how they should.
Rick Murchison:
Who was your instructor?
Bob Sherwood and Ed Hayes. But don't tell them I'm speaking out because it just annoys them :)
Rick Murchison:
(see how that confrontation/controversy thing works?)
Rick
Yep. It's a beautiful thing when used for your purposes :)

Chris

Soggy:
The only rebreather 'sanctioned' (for lack of a better word) for use in a DIR team is the RB80, so, no, the Inspiration divers were not DIR.

If you are just harping on the acronym, I suggest you get over it and sell your ScubaPRO and Dive RITE gear.
Ain't gonna happen. I'm older than "DIR." I suggest you "get over it" and change your acronym to "Doing it Rite" or some other less confrontational term.
Don't want to admit Inspiration rebreather divers might be Doing It Right? You epitomize the arrogance the rest of the diving world finds so distasteful.
Go ahead, tell me I'm not Doing It Right.
Rick

cmalinowski:
GUE has and is working on this. It will never actually matter because anyone who wants to bash them will link them with the DIR moniker to suit their purposes. Much like anything said here to defend GUE and/or DIR will fall on deaf ears or be twisted around and used as fodder to say that GUE/DIR divers are elitists.

Sort of like anything that the US does in Iraq is a losing situation because the Iraqis who don't want us there will just turn it around and stir up their folks with it.

Chris
I don't have a problem with some of the DIR suggestions. I actually was taught a lot of them, and utilize a lot of them. My problem lies in the elitism. IE If you're not doing it right, you're doing it wrong. I work in surgery and I teach students. I teach my way of doing things. I also learned my way from adopting many good ideas from a variety of people. When I teach my students, I hope they take something that I taught them and use it with information from others to become good and effective themselves. I am not so egocentric that I believe my way is the only way. I'm one of the best at what I do, but I know there are many ways that work for many people. Not everything is black(excuse the pun) and white.

cmalinowski:
they are doing it right for themselves.
But if "DIR" means "doing it right" then you have already said they are not doing it right.
Which is it?
Does DIR mean "doing it right" or not?
Make up your mind.
To sit there and demand that everyone else understand that "DIR" means "doing it right" but "not DIR" doesn't mean "not doing it right" is ridiculous. You guys are off in la la land to think that makes any sense at all, and to fail to see that you're putting everyone else down by the use of the term is denial of almost pathological immensity.
Change the name or admit you're arrogant elitists. You can't have it both ways.
Rick

ffestpirate:
I don't have a problem with some of the DIR suggestions. I actually was taught a lot of them, and utilize a lot of them. My problem lies in the elitism. IE If you're not doing it right, you're doing it wrong. I work in surgery and I teach students. I teach my way of doing things. I also learned my way from adopting many good ideas from a variety of people. When I teach my students, I hope they take something that I taught them and use it with information from others to become good and effective themselves. I am not so egocentric that I believe my way is the only way. I'm one of the best at what I do, but I know there are many ways that work for many people. Not everything is black(excuse the pun) and white.
But there are other people working in surgery who teach that their way is the best way. That makes you guilty by association. Since that seems to be the argument from the DIR haters side, it works for everything. Sorry you are a butthead, but I know someone who works in surgery who is a butthead. Tough break for you.

Chris

Rick Murchison:
Ain't gonna happen. I'm older than "DIR." I suggest you "get over it" and change your acronym to "Doing it Rite" or some other less confrontational term.
Don't want to admit Inspiration rebreather divers might be Doing It Right? You epitomize the arrogance the rest of the diving world finds so distasteful.
Go ahead, tell me I'm not Doing It Right.
Rick

It's a lame term, I agree, but the only reason why it would bother someone is if they are insecure enough to let it. I try not to call 'it' anything and am fairly successful because I always dive with the same people, so it's not a problem. I don't go around asking "Are you DIR? Are you DIR?" (though I have seen people do that).

Why is "Doing it Rite" any better?

I'm going to go dive my Dive Rong gear this weekend, I guess.

Rick Murchison:
But if "DIR" means "doing it right" then you have already said they are not doing it right.
Which is it?
Does DIR mean "doing it right" or not?
Make up your mind.
To sit there and demand that everyone else understand that "DIR" means "doing it right" but "not DIR" doesn't mean "not doing it right" is ridiculous. You guys are off in la la land to think that makes any sense at all, and to fail to see that you're putting everyone else down by the use of the term is denial of almost pathological immensity.
Change the name or admit you're arrogant elitists. You can't have it both ways.
Rick
You are just looking for a fight. Have at it. I have no desire to sit here and argue the stupidity of the DIR moniker with you. It is a losing situation because nothing I say would be good enough for you. There is no way to change history and the angst that "DIR" has with it. Since I can't change it, call me what you want as that's what you're going to do anyway. I didn't come up with the name.

I dive the GUE way. GUE uses DIR principals, but also adds other stuff. Don't lump me in with elitist DIR divers. Do you do anything in your diving that is also used by "DIR divers?" If so, then you are a DIR diver, and thus one of "us". Doesn't that make you an elitist butthead?

EDIT: I take it back. Feel free to lump me in with the DIR divers. It's better than the alternative from what I can tell.
Chris

Soggy:
...I don't go around asking "Are you DIR? Are you DIR?" (though I have seen people do that).
And my guess is that most of them are non-DIR divers looking for a fight. Most of them will find what they want, but the blame will always lay on the DIR divers.

Rick Murchison:
... and change your acronym to "Doing it Rite" ...

Since you are so certain that it will change things, consider it done. DIR now is "Doing it Rite." Period. End of discussion. I declare it on this day that it is so.

Tell me how it changed it Rick. Did it erase the history of it? Are we no longer elitists? Do you now have some other windmill to attack? Do you feel better because you won?

For me personally, it's not the name but the few fanatical internet zealots that give DIR a bad rep, especially when I'm in a thread trying to find common ground between the anti and the pro camps. It's not people who are just DIR, it's people who are DIR and believe that other divers are not good divers unless they dive the DIR way and I'm not talking about the name thing. I mean most of us think we are diving the right way for our purposes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom