Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daedalus:
The association of DIR with the situation at Wakulla where a public resource is being sequestered for the private gain of a privileged few.

yeah... that sure is controversial

i don't know the whole story, but why not open the system to all qualified divers?

Bill51:
Just a thought, but maybe a short session on polite dive site etiquette should be added to a DIR class to improve public relations.

How could you possible say that with a straight face? Do yourself a favor; never take GUE's fundamentals course. Because if you do, you will look back at this statement and realize how silly it is.

Adobo:
How could you possible say that with a straight face? Do yourself a favor; never take GUE's fundamentals course. Because if you do, you will look back at this statement and realize how silly it is.
I rest my case about DIR needing better PR if only in the way their adherents present their arguments.

The Horn:
On the topic of strange: do people that have taken DIR-F or above training refer to themselves as DIR divers? "Hi I'm DIR Dave" etc I have PADI training and don't introduce myself as "Brent the PADI guy".
Around here, people that I know who consider themselves DIR divers don't mention it and hang out with everyone regardless of what kind of equipment or dive style they have. It's just not an issue.

The only time that it comes up is when someone wants to tag along on a dive and we explain that on this particular dive we are going to be using the entire dive as a DIR skills training dive. We mention it not to keep anyone away from us, but so that they realize that we're probably going to spend the whole time in the sand doing skills and not looking at the reef, which may be what they want to do. If they are interested in checking out the skills dive, they are welcome to come along and we'll just make them a third member of a team.

The divers in this area that I know who consider themselves DIR divers would not interject themselves into a discussion of diving to tell someone that they should be doing something differently. That's just rude and arrogant. I would argue that rude and arrogant behavior has nothing to do with one's training agency and most likely has more to do with a lack of social skills.

If someone asks me about my gear and why it looks different than theirs, I'll offer a simple and short explanation. I feel that if they are interested in knowing more based on what I say, they'll ask more questions. Othewise, I simply don't pursue the topic.

GUE does not exist to teach people social skills, they exist to teach people a particular system of diving.

If a diver walks up to us and tells us all that we're going to choke ourselves with that hose wrapped around our necks, I just write the comment off as ignorant and consider the individual a dolt. I don't try to blame it on their training agency and I politely tell them that they are entitled to their opinions just as we are entitled to ours.

Also, assuming that a group of divers wearing backplates and wings with long hoses are DIR divers makes about as much sense as assuming that a group of divers wearing jacket style BCs are trained by PADI. It's just not logical given the number of training agencies out there.

Christian

Daedalus:
The association of DIR with the situation at Wakulla where a public resource is being sequestered for the private gain of a privileged few.

that isn't really unique in florida cave diving.

Bill51:
But would you interject yourself in my class with my student being taught the way recommended by my agency just because you think your way is safer?

I cannot claim to be a DIR diver but I do dive with those who think themselves to be DIR divers. I do not know all of the DIR divers in my area but I know a lot of them.

I have spent plenty of time in the local site where most new divers do their open water check out. I have never ever seen the behavior that you describe. In fact, the DIR divers (as well as other more experienced divers) that I know are incredibly generous with their time... helping the new people gear up, helping them when they fall in the surf zone, giving site briefings, etc.

To answer your question, no, I would not think to intrude in anyones class. I would not even offer any opinions or advice unless asked. And even then, I would tend to point to the more senior divers to provide guidance. But let me just mention that we recently had a diver lose his life in the PNW. It turns out that this group of divers, a couple of which had less than 20 dives under their belt, were led to a deep air dive by their instructor. One of the participants had his computer read 211 ft.

So yeah, there are situations where I would feel compelled to say something.

I rest my case about DIR needing better PR if only in the way their adherents present their arguments.
Let's look at it from a different angle.. the shop I get my fills from is an SSI shop. One of the employees there thinks I am stupid for not using a computer to plan my dives. She also thinks it is ridiculous that I insist on retesting and remarking my tanks when I get nitrox. Another one of the employees there thinks I am a wuss for diving doubles and yet never diving beyond 100 ft. He dives regularly to 150+ feet on air with a single HP 100. My open water instructor, when asked what a DIR diver was, answered that they are evil people.

Do you think I should be posting about how SSI needs a dive shop etiquette section in their classes? Of course not. It makes absolutely no sense. There is absolutely nothing in the SSI material or the class that turns good people into jerks. The GUE material is no different.

Be a bigger person than those that throw around a bunch of non-sense about DIR (on both sides of the fence). Spend $20 and buy a book from GUE.com and read for yourself. Then ask yourself the question, is it really fair to attribute bad behavior to DIR/GUE or is it really that there are just nice people and jerks everywhere.

H2Andy:
yeah... that sure is controversial

i don't know the whole story, but why not open the system to all qualified divers?

There is important research* being done and allowing other persons to dive there would jeopardize the goals of that research.

* into how the acquisition of world records effects brand name recognition and profits

Daedalus:

Err.. I would say "where a public resource is sequestered for the public gain"
The scientific diving they have been doing for many years has certainly helped the public, and with a huge amount of volunteer time and HUGE expense born by the divers. As far as I know, they WKPP doesn't personally own Walkulla (as you said it is public), so why not petition the right agencies to dive there instead of blaming "DIR"?
In fact, there is a local place I have been wanting to dive, but it is almost impossible to get permission. BUT, I know of a few TDI trained guys who dive there regularly. This must be some sort of TDI conspiracy to keep me down :)

Jasonmh:
Err.. I would say "where a public resource is sequestered for the public gain"
The scientific diving they have been doing for many years has certainly helped the public, and with a huge amount of volunteer time and HUGE expense born by the divers. As far as I know, they WKPP doesn't personally own Walkulla (as you said it is public), so why not petition the right agencies to dive there instead of blaming "DIR"?

"Scientific Diving" has always taken a backseat to "How Far We Got" in WKPP press releases from what I have seen.

Volunteer time and huge expense? This is something people do for recreation, its not philanthropy, even if crumbs of science are given to the state to legitimize the GUE monopoly of Wakulla.

Petitioning the right agencies would be simpler if the WKPP were not whispering in the ears of officials that everyone who has not invested thousands of dollars in GUE training was Doing it Wrong and would kill themselves.

I cannot dive at Wakulla, I am not qualified right now and will not be for some time - if ever. However there are people who are qualified who cannot dive there because they have not done the "Volunteer Work" that makes world records possible by the privileged few, and that is wrong. Wakulla Springs is owned by the people of Florida, and one of the purposes is for recreation, if anyone wants to recreate there in a safe manner they should be allowed. Please indulge me as to why diving in Wakulla is so much more different than diving in Eagles Nest as to demand so many miles of red tape?

I do not have any problem with DIR divers, and I think the training, gear configuration, etc is all great stuff. I have spoken with DIR divers at dive sites and for the most part they have all been great people with a passion for diving. However the actions of the people who profit from the promulgation of DIR are less than admirable in my opinion. I can separate what the "higher ups" do from the people who just like to dive DIR but some people cannot, and I think that is a big part of the resentment in cave country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom