Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

personally, I think they should open up wakulla. i think they should also open up all the other restricted systems as well and assume that the people diving in them are adults that can make their own decisions.

the biggest problem that i have with the whole DIR, GUE and team diving thing is that it tends to attract a bunch of control freakage that i don't like. i'm perfectly good with shelving my own ego to better serve the team, but i don't appreciate people telling me or anyone else what to do.

Around here, people that I know who consider themselves DIR divers don't mention it and hang out with everyone regardless of what kind of equipment or dive style they have. It's just not an issue.

The only time that it comes up is when someone wants to tag along on a dive and we explain that on this particular dive we are going to be using the entire dive as a DIR skills training dive. We mention it not to keep anyone away from us, but so that they realize that we're probably going to spend the whole time in the sand doing skills and not looking at the reef, which may be what they want to do. If they are interested in checking out the skills dive, they are welcome to come along and we'll just make them a third member of a team.

Head Hunter,

This is what I would find great! I would love to come along and learn/show what you/I can do. That being said I have never really gone to any place where any other divers were???? except maybe a few charters

I truly think that he whole concept of the training (I have read the GUE training guide and the latest update) is the core of what "should be" out there in the main stream. the fact that it is not is the reason for the whole GUE?DIR in the first place.

Gear issues can only be blammed on the massive $$$ in the gimmick market. This extends far beyond the diving market or everyone would be driving a Chevy:D

The best case scenario: GUE/DIR continues to deliver a solid product to those that chose to go that route of training. Those that don't will carry on in the more "commercial" training agencies.

I think the internet is great!!!

GUE does not exist to teach people social skills, they exist to teach people a particular system of diving.

Very true Christian and I think it is obvious through my posts that I am far from anti-DIR but in another post yesterday, you mentioned using the word "stroke" in anything but a humorous way is inflammatory. Well another poster, very DIR, uses that word here all the time. In fact I asked him a question point blank in a post just before yours and he declined to answer. There are others here as well. I have never met DIR divers in person that were at all nasty or elitist and I've been diving with quite a few, especially in Mexico. It is only here that I have met a few that make all the others look bad.

Now that is not to say there are not others just as bad on the other side but it used to be very frustrating to read bashing on either side. But it's the internet, right?

Diver Dennis:
Are all Tech divers DIR?
Nope.... some are FULL DIR, some are 1/2 DIR and other and non-DIR.

I used to be DIR... some of the stuff I do now.... not sure

Thanks Meng_Tze...:D

I should add that I have only seen them here because this is the only board I spend any time on. No offense to the DIR divers here that are not fanatics, which is almost all of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom