Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The baggiest weakness that I see in most divers is buoyance control and a good instructor can work with you on this. It's the key to becoming a great diver.

I read that if you don't work you don't need a liability insurance? Because you are not working? 🤔
True until someone sues you. The reason BSAC provides the cover is, it is needed. Every couple of years there is a claim against a member. Most don't go to Court, but there are still defence fees to pay. You're dive/holiday insurance might provide cover, but it won't cover you as a guide. You need to confirm that the DM training provider includes liability insurance whilst your under training/working for them. Also don't forget to make sure you have the right visa. When I was last on Koh Tao (June 2023) the police checked the dive centre's instructors and DMs work permits twice in one week. They did the same on Koh Lipe (Dec 22).

I am already in touch with some instructors I met while travelling :) But yeah, I really want the experience. I do hope though that becoming DM will make me a better diver.
You can hope all you want. :wink: Your skills will improve if for no other reason than by virtue of doing a lot of diving, but you won't progress as much as you could if you were to instead take courses geared toward improving and expanding divers' skill sets. .

O
True until someone sues you. The reason BSAC provides the cover is, it is needed. Every couple of years there is a claim against a member. Most don't go to Court, but there are still defence fees to pay. You're dive/holiday insurance might provide cover, but it won't cover you as a guide. You need to confirm that the DM training provider includes liability insurance whilst your under training/working for them. Also don't forget to make sure you have the right visa. When I was last on Koh Tao (June 2023) the police checked the dive centre's instructors and DMs work permits twice in one week. They did the same on Koh Lipe (Dec 22).
Ok I get during the course, I meant after. As far as I understand if you are an inactive DM you don't necessarily need it but you might be more liable even if you do dives as recreation diver, that's what scares me. But thank you for mentioning during the DM course, I hadn't thought about that.

I think it I do the course where I intend to it won't be an internship, I would be a normal guest doing a course and that should be a normal travel visa, but I need to check that anyway because I've already entered Thailand 3 times this year and as reading online it should only be possible twice 😅

Yes,
You can hope all you want. :wink: Your skills will improve if for no other reason than by virtue of doing a lot of diving, but you won't progress as much as you could if you were to instead take courses geared toward improving and expanding divers' skill sets. .
Yes, I will look into tech dive before making a decision. What I meant is that with the right instructor they should mentor you. I know my instructors, they are not strangers so I hope they will do that 🤪

Yes,

Yes, I will look into tech dive before making a decision. What I meant is that with the right instructor they should mentor you. I know my instructors, they are not strangers so I hope they will do that 🤪
Have fun. Seriously, that is the most important thing in the end. I'm sure you will have fun.

The move between recreational and technical diving isn't like leaving one room and entering another, it's far more fluid.

The big thing required for technical diving is excellent core skills (buoyancy, trim, finning). These skills are to a much higher standard than those you see with recreational diving. For example, being flat in the water so your fin kicks don't disturb above and below you; being able to move around using only fins (back finning, helicopter turns), all whilst completely stable vertically.

The good news is that excellence in these skills makes you a far better recreational diver. Being able to position yourself just in front of a wall whilst you look at a seahorse; being able to back away from a fragile coral or something with teeth; moving in and out of a gully; not kicking up the bottom or touching fragile fauna with your fins.

The downside of these skills is they take some time to master. It really helps if you can find a mentor to show you the basic skills and then you can practice them on every dive. The absolute best thing is to be able to see someone with truly excellent core skills and copy them.

I am going to be difficult. When I am a paying customer and I am told I will have a DM leading the group my expectation is that the DM;

Is flexible and friendly
Knows the dive site well
Knows where the critters are
Is an expert level diver in all that expert can mean
Has perfect buoyancy control
Has (very) low air consumption
Will not be a limiting factor to enjoyment of the dive for the customers

DM and AI are not skills courses but are leadership courses. The things above should be ironed out before becoming a dive professional as a DM, AI, I.

Becoming a DM and you are no longer diving for you. You aren't off exploring and taking in all the beauty. You are now a baby sitter. It is work. You are herding cats. Your focus in on the other divers, not the diving.

Take a hobby and turn it into a job... ruin fun.
You are 100 percent right. I'm moving to the Philippines to live my dream and I am opening a dive shop just because I'm going diving every other day anyway. I'm only going to dive by myself and with friends. Never with the tourists. For me the most fun is doing whatever I want, not being a babysitter. The type of diving I'm going to be doing is on a far higher level of experience than any dumb tourist can handle, and I don't want them to cramp my style.

The baggiest weakness that I see in most divers is buoyance control and a good instructor can work with you on this. It's the key to becoming a great diver.
Teaching neutral buoyancy is 15 minute process max .... and fin pivots are BS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom