Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently moved to Greece from the US and have been diving with some local charters.

A few months ago one of the dive charters (now two that I know of) were looking for a DM. They would supply all the course work and instruction, including Rescue Diver, the DM course and certificate and any other related skills work- at zero cost.

Why would they do this? Because they want/need the free labor and that's fair enough. I did an interview with the owners, and following that interview they accepted me into their DM program which would require 4-5 days of work for 3-4 months. I politely declined, and here's why:

The front end, as I call it, which involves taking guests on dives, helping guests with gear and skills issues, helping with boat operations and probably even driving it were all good... however what I refer to the back end was a dealbreaker for me. That requires spending 1 or more days per week in the shop filling heavy steel tanks, lugging those heavy tanks to and from the boat, carrying wet and dry gear bags for customers, and rinsing rental gear including piss filled wetsuits.

I'm now retired, and I would be doing this for fun, and of course the free diving and to get the "pro certificate". I don't need more experience with about 700 logged dives. That "back end" stuff is not how I expect to spend retirement. I would have considered doing it anyway but my back said "no way".

Hello!
I just recently fell in love with diving, like I've never liked anything in my life before, and I was thinking about getting my DM.
I know the reasons to do it change if from person to person but I'm wondering why so many people say doing the DM if you don't plan to work is useless.

My position is that I quit my job to travel last year and I am not ready to go back to normal life yet. I am considering doing DM for the following reasons:
- I want to become a better diver and I want to challenge myself and learn more
- I want to spend a few months diving and volunteering at a dive shop. I do not exclude the idea of actually working in the field if I love it so much after the course, I am open and right now I don't know where life will take me
- I've got prices from a few places I've been diving at and doing the DM course is significantly cheaper (like half the cost) than just doing fun dives for the same amount of time

But apart from that, especially as it works out cheaper this way, why is everyone so against it?

Your opinion is welcome, thank you! :)

there is other way of becoming a better diver beside being a DM.

Attachments

• img_6699.jpeg
    img_6699.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 6
  • img_6693.jpeg
    img_6693.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 6
  • img_6692.jpeg
    img_6692.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 6
  • img_6703.jpeg
    img_6703.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 6
  • img_6705.jpeg
    img_6705.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 6
there is other way of becoming a better diver beside being a DM.
That's funny!

A DiveMaster isn't a great diver; the course doesn't teach you things to be "a better diver", it teaches you how to be a glorified shop assistant.

If you want to be a "better diver", then go down the technical route where you learn skills to become a much better diver.

That's funny!

A DiveMaster isn't a great diver; the course doesn't teach you things to be "a better diver", it teaches you how to be a glorified shop assistant.

If you want to be a "better diver", then go down the technical route where you learn skills to become a much better diver.
I will look into that too, someone suggested it :)

Back
Top Bottom