Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will look into that [tech diving] too, someone suggested it :)
Bottom line: it's great that you're enjoying diving and have great enthusiasm. There's so much more to diving though and once you've developed great skills (starting with buoyancy, trim, finning) you can then enjoy the diving.

If looking at UK diving it tends to be deeper, typically below 30m/100ft, in cold water (i.e. drysuit), tidal conditions (drifting away from the shotline), dark (need a torch+backup), with frequently poor visibility where self sufficiency is vital. Because of the depths decompression is very common and requires additional equipment and skills, not least planning. In essence it strays quite quickly into what's commonly known as technical diving, e.g. below 40m/130ft and decompression.

BSAC are well equipped for this, but so are many "dive shops" with allegiances to recreational agencies.

The main thing is to get the practice in and go diving! The UK has some amazing diving just on our doorsteps. Alas we don't always have the weather.

As an aside, the SDI Solo Diver course has higher entry requirements (100 dives plus a mature attitude) than the DiveMaster course (60 dives). Aiming to do the Solo Diver is a way of ensuring you've the right skills to keep trouble away.

W
I won't work as a DM (most probably) so won't need insurance
Whether you work or not, DM or not it’s worth having basic liability insurance. As. BSAC Member I have cover worldwide (except North America), in case someone makes a claim against me whilst being a dive buddy. Don’t forget dive insurance, which is separate from travel insurance.

I do hope that if you do it as a DM you'd learn better though, I mean your instructor should actually teach you how to get better at navigation, say, rather than while doing fun dives it would be only on you to learn by yourself.
This really depends on the instructor, which is why a few posts above I mentioned that

...good instructor trainers could make a difference.

If the instructor/DM trainer is a good one, you can learn a lot. But if the count of your dives is correct, you will likely be not able to evaluate how good is the IT - simply because you don't know what you don't know.

Honestly, given what you discussed here, and your interest in living the lifestyle - just go for it.

Then back in the UK, you will find many cool paths, tech or rec, so you'll find what's for you.

Honestly, at this point, the only thing I would worry about if I were you is to evaluate whether the diving centers you want to go with are good or not. But this is an entirely different discussion.

PS Yes, diving insurance. DAN or something similar - really needed.

Go to Thailand. Tell the shop that you want to eventually become an instructor, not just a DM. The industry doesn't need DMs as much as it needs instructors. You can get on that path and take it as far as you wish, stopping at DM if you decide so. Aim for the stars, and if you only get to the moon, that's fine. Thousands of others before you have done just that, living the crazy life for six months or a year or so in Thailand with other like-minded young people. You don't really need our advice here, because you know you want to do this.

Don't do it because you believe taking the DM course will make you a better diver. As others have mentioned, there are better ways to achieve that. As a DM or DM trainee, you will be doing the same dives over and over, and much of your time will be devoted to boring work. But if you just want to hang out in Thailand while having some purpose or goal, that's as good a reason as any to do this.

Bottom line: it's great that you're enjoying diving and have great enthusiasm. There's so much more to diving though and once you've developed great skills (starting with buoyancy, trim, finning) you can then enjoy the diving.

If looking at UK diving it tends to be deeper, typically below 30m/100ft, in cold water (i.e. drysuit), tidal conditions (drifting away from the shotline), dark (need a torch+backup), with frequently poor visibility where self sufficiency is vital. Because of the depths decompression is very common and requires additional equipment and skills, not least planning. In essence it strays quite quickly into what's commonly known as technical diving, e.g. below 40m/130ft and decompression.

BSAC are well equipped for this, but so are many "dive shops" with allegiances to recreational agencies.

The main thing is to get the practice in and go diving! The UK has some amazing diving just on our doorsteps. Alas we don't always have the weather.

As an aside, the SDI Solo Diver course has higher entry requirements (100 dives plus a mature attitude) than the DiveMaster course (60 dives). Aiming to do the Solo Diver is a way of ensuring you've the right skills to keep trouble away.
Yeah I did look into the SDI too, maybe in the future.
I have to say I'm not really looking forward to diving in the UK 😅😂

Yeah I did look into the SDI too, maybe in the future.
I have to say I'm not really looking forward to diving in the UK 😅😂
UK diving is wonderful. Have some amazing sights and a lot of shipwrecks == reefs.

It is seasonal though with inland sites available to keep the skills up in the off season or when the gales doth blow. Temperatures get up to 18c/64f in summer and down to 7c/44f in the winter. We nearly always dive in drysuits; the appropriate clothing for UK conditions.

Trite though it may sound, there's no such thing as cold; just wearing the wrong clothes.

There's simply loads of wonderful recreational diving available around the UK from diving with seals in the Farne Islands and Lundy (other locations are available!); reef and drift diving off of most coastal locations; thousands of wrecks to dive upon which become reefs, so covered in life and interesting engineering. Most diving is done off of boats. The starter location would be Swanage: various options, but there's a "house" wreck of the Kyarra about 10 minutes away.

Visibility in the summer is good unless there's been recent storms. 10m+/33ft+ is not uncommon. In some locations, especially offshore or on the west or north of the British Isles you could imagine that you're in the tropics as the visibility is so good.

The best thing about UK diving is you can do it in a day and be home. No flights required!

W

Whether you work or not, DM or not it’s worth having basic liability insurance. As. BSAC Member I have cover worldwide (except North America), in case someone makes a claim against me whilst being a dive buddy. Don’t forget dive insurance, which is separate from travel insurance.
I read that if you don't work you don't need a liability insurance? Because you are not working? 🤔

O
UK diving is wonderful. Have some amazing sights and a lot of shipwrecks == reefs.

It is seasonal though with inland sites available to keep the skills up in the off season or when the gales doth blow. Temperatures get up to 18c/64f in summer and down to 7c/44f in the winter. We nearly always dive in drysuits; the appropriate clothing for UK conditions.

Trite though it may sound, there's no such thing as cold; just wearing the wrong clothes.

There's simply loads of wonderful recreational diving available around the UK from diving with seals in the Farne Islands and Lundy (other locations are available!); reef and drift diving off of most coastal locations; thousands of wrecks to dive upon which become reefs, so covered in life and interesting engineering. Most diving is done off of boats. The starter location would be Swanage: various options, but there's a "house" wreck of the Kyarra about 10 minutes away.

Visibility in the summer is good unless there's been recent storms. 10m+/33ft+ is not uncommon. In some locations, especially offshore or on the west or north of the British Isles you could imagine that you're in the tropics as the visibility is so good.

The best thing about UK diving is you can do it in a day and be home. No flights required!
Ok thank you :) I will definitely consider diving in the UK, I just thought after some places in SEA it wouldn't compare 😅 But I read there are a lot of WW2 wreck which might be interesting!

trying to decide whether or not to follow down this rabbit hole

Go to Thailand. Tell the shop that you want to eventually become an instructor, not just a DM. The industry doesn't need DMs as much as it needs instructors. You can get on that path and take it as far as you wish, stopping at DM if you decide so. Aim for the stars, and if you only get to the moon, that's fine. Thousands of others before you have done just that, living the crazy life for six months or a year or so in Thailand with other like-minded young people. You don't really need our advice here, because you know you want to do this.

Don't do it because you believe taking the DM course will make you a better diver. As others have mentioned, there are better ways to achieve that. As a DM or DM trainee, you will be doing the same dives over and over, and much of your time will be devoted to boring work. But if you just want to hang out in Thailand while having some purpose or goal, that's as good a reason as any to do this.
I am already in touch with some instructors I met while travelling :) But yeah, I really want the experience. I do hope though that becoming DM will make me a better diver.

Back
Top Bottom