Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This really depends on the instructor, which is why a few posts above I mentioned that

If the instructor/DM trainer is a good one, you can learn a lot. But if the count of your dives is correct, you will likely be not able to evaluate how good is the IT - simply because you don't know what you don't know.

Honestly, given what you discussed here, and your interest in living the lifestyle - just go for it.

Then back in the UK, you will find many cool paths, tech or rec, so you'll find what's for you.

Honestly, at this point, the only thing I would worry about if I were you is to evaluate whether the diving centers you want to go with are good or not. But this is an entirely different discussion.

PS Yes, diving insurance. DAN or something similar - really needed.
Thank you. I have DAN but only the sport one,not the liability one.

DiveMaster skills aren't deep nor wide. When you're a baby diver you know nothing and the DiveMaster seems to be an expert. Develop your skills and you then see that it's not the internationally recognised badge of skills.

@Isa.nerwen

This x 100.

Hello!
I just recently fell in love with diving, like I've never liked anything in my life before, and I was thinking about getting my DM.
I know the reasons to do it change if from person to person but I'm wondering why so many people say doing the DM if you don't plan to work is useless.
Your opinion is welcome, thank you! :)
I have been diving since January 1986. I do not have a DM Certification. I have friends who are vacation divers who have DM certs. Some are instructor level who do not work as instructors. One of my friends just got her Padi IDC. She works in the industry.

To say it's useless is not true. You will learn things in a DM course. Sometimes I think if I should do a DM Cert but for me not worth it. I just had a very nice 30 dive vacation this month. My DM guide loved the fact he could just follow me around and enjoy not having to be a valet for me.

If you can do a DM course and get in a lot of free diving afterwards go for it. Leading dives and taking care of vacation divers is arduous. My humble opinion.

I started with PADI then did BSAC. I would say BSAC courses are different and more instructive in the club environment and you learn deco diving as well. I would recommend BSAC over PADI if you have that available.

You could just do BSAC Sports diver and after that you can also look at TDI ANDP. You don't need to be a DM for that.
Refer to what Wibble and others have written

I am going to be difficult. When I am a paying customer and I am told I will have a DM leading the group my expectation is that the DM;

Has (very) low air consumption
I've dived with recently certified DM's and we need to end dives but I am better on gas consumption. I've had dives where the DM is at 40 bar at end of dive and I'm at 100 bar. Such is life.
I will never criticize a DM just for using more gas. We all can end a dive at any time remember.
2 days before my dive trip this month I had a fall and bruised my ribs. Breathing was not always comfortable. My first days were not good on air lol. Too much pain. In the last 2 days I was feeling fine and the guide was dang... you are good on air lol

Had a young instabuddy who is Padi Rescue and deep cert and yet he used more air than I did when in pain. lol

I started with PADI then did BSAC. I would say BSAC courses are different and more instructive in the club environment and you learn deco diving as well. I would recommend BSAC over PADI if you have that available.

You could just do BSAC Sports diver and after that you can also look at TDI ANDP. You don't need to be a DM for that.
You don’t need to go to another agency to do ‘technical’ diving, BSAC has the lot see here.

Thanks so much.
Admittedly my main reason is because I want to have the experience of living that lifestyle for a bit, and doing it for 2 months would cost me the same price as travelling for 2 months and would be cheaper than just doing fun dives for 2 months.
That was my reasoning about 20 years ago when I went to Roatan for my DM internship. And it worked out fine, I basically dove every day for a couple of months (with a few days off here and there) for about $600, and I ended up making more than that back from the shop fixing regulators. So it was more-or-less diving at no cost other than lodging. The course itself was nothing to write home about; lots of things that would prepare you for the IDC. I was already a pretty good diver so I didn’t have high expectations of learning high end dive skills. When you dive that much everything gets better, of course. There was some labor involved, mostly filling/schlepping tanks and tidying up the shop.

The big variable in the experience is always what kind of people you’re working with; in my case it was definitely a mix. If I had any advice to offer, it would be try to find a place where you think you’ll fit in with the people around you, age wise, interest wise, etc…if you get that right, then it really is like a very inexpensive, somewhat low end-but-fun vacation.

Great diving there.
High demand for the course for the obvious reason.

Back
Top Bottom