Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great diving there.
High demand for the course for the obvious reason.
Ohh I was diving with Dive Komodo when I was there. I love the dive sites but to be honest going back to Komodo is a bit of a hassle, plus a bit more expensive than Thailand ^^

That was my reasoning about 20 years ago when I went to Roatan for my DM internship. And it worked out fine, I basically dove every day for a couple of months (with a few days off here and there) for about $600, and I ended up making more than that back from the shop fixing regulators. So it was more-or-less diving at no cost other than lodging. The course itself was nothing to write home about; lots of things that would prepare you for the IDC. I was already a pretty good diver so I didn’t have high expectations of learning high end dive skills. When you dive that much everything gets better, of course. There was some labor involved, mostly filling/schlepping tanks and tidying up the shop.

The big variable in the experience is always what kind of people you’re working with; in my case it was definitely a mix. If I had any advice to offer, it would be try to find a place where you think you’ll fit in with the people around you, age wise, interest wise, etc…if you get that right, then it really is like a very inexpensive, somewhat low end-but-fun vacation.
Thanks!
I don't mind the labour part, I actually kind of want it.
In just looking into which dive school now, because I had a few instructors I really liked in places I liked in mind but unfortunately they are all not available or they moved.

I've dived with recently certified DM's and we need to end dives but I am better on gas consumption. I've had dives where the DM is at 40 bar at end of dive and I'm at 100 bar. Such is life.
I will never criticize a DM just for using more gas. We all can end a dive at any time remember.
2 days before my dive trip this month I had a fall and bruised my ribs. Breathing was not always comfortable. My first days were not good on air lol. Too much pain. In the last 2 days I was feeling fine and the guide was dang... you are good on air lol

Had a young instabuddy who is Padi Rescue and deep cert and yet he used more air than I did when in pain. lol
Gas consumption has nothing to do with how good a diver you are.
Some people just use more gas based on physiological needs.
What they need to do is adjust to that usage with tank size.

You don’t need to go to another agency to do ‘technical’ diving, BSAC has the lot see here.
You're right, but it's also fair to give an overview of all potential paths to @Isa.nerwen and let her explore and decide what's best for herself. The trick is to tell her what to look at when evaluating paths/agencies/instructors/whatever: this is the best value added we can give her

I'm going to be a bit contrarian here, at least as far as this thread seems to have gone.

I think that @Isa.nerwen could learn quite a bit as a DM/DM candidate.

DMs will practice everything rescue divers learn. Usually, whenever they're in the water, you will have an opportunity to use something you learned in rescue.

Repetition == mastery.

Depending on the agency, she'll be required to demonstrate every open water skill with demonstration quality, while neutrally buoyant. That doesn't make you a snake eater, but it far exceeds the standards of most open water courses.

I spent all my free time in the water (monitoring students, waiting to help etc.) working on skills, and there's something to be said for having access to basically unlimited dive time. Maybe it isn't all your time, but it's still time underwater.

The question is, where do you get the most value for your dollar - in tech training or dm training? That's a hard question to answer. Most of the tech divers I know and work with are instructors, so they've had the experience of dealing with a panicking open water student who's trying to kill themself underwater. The DM side of that training is the "I can get you and me to the surface, alive" and the tech side of the training is more about learning breathing, buoyancy, trim, and positioning. Both are valuable and in my experience, the best divers have learned both sides.

Ok, all that said, my recommendation would be for a new diver to take tech training at least at a fundies/intro to tech level, and then proceed with the path of least resistance into getting further certs. There are few people who don't have something to teach you, and when you work with students, they're going to teach you a lot of things, but they may not be what you want to learn.

You're right, but it's also fair to give an overview of all potential paths to @Isa.nerwen and let her explore and decide what's best for herself. The trick is to tell her what to look at when evaluating paths/agencies/instructors/whatever: this is the best value added we can give her
Thank you kindly ☺️☺️

In fact gas consumption may have a little or a lot to do with how good a diver someone is.

Exactly which is why you dive with DM's in Asia that have thousands of dives and are excellent on air.
Many people see my size and assume I will have shorter dive times.

Ohh I was diving with Dive Komodo when I was there. I love the dive sites but to be honest going back to Komodo is a bit of a hassle, plus a bit more expensive than Thailand ^^
I know but you just CANNOT compare the diving between ANYWHERE in Thailand with Komodo.
Good diving area in Thailand is NOT that cheap and the option is very very limited ie, only one(Koh Lanta) unless you want to include LoB to Similan.
I had dived in many many places in SE Asia and you just CANNOT beat Komodo for DM training. Some of the dives are very challenging even for the experienced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom