Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know but you just CANNOT compare the diving between ANYWHERE in Thailand with Komodo.
Good diving area in Thailand is NOT that cheap and the option is very very limited ie, only one(Koh Lanta) unless you want to include LoB to Similan.
Yes, Komodo was amazing but at the same time I will have time to go to amazing dive sites, I was in Koh Lipe (where I think I'd do the course if I do it) and it was nice enough and cheap enough to me a good middle ground :)

Good diving area in Thailand is NOT that cheap and the option is very very limited ie, only one(Koh Lanta) unless you
Wrong. There are many places to dive in Thailand and I consider the diving to be quite good, especially but not exclusive of Koh Tao & Pattaya.

Wrong. There are many places to dive in Thailand and I consider the diving to be quite good, especially but not exclusive of Koh Tao & Pattaya.
LOL.
There is no right or wrong, just different opinion.
Where else beside Koh Lanta and Similan offering good diving.
Koh Chang, Koh Lipe, Koh Phuket, Koh Tao(+ Phangan).
I had made two diving trips to Pattaya and never got wet except under the shower in the hotel room.
Losin(never been) is also for LoB only.
In my book, Indonesia and Philippines are head and shoulder better than Thailand for diving. Malaysia and Thailand is 2nd tier.
Yes, Komodo was amazing but at the same time I will have time to go to amazing dive sites, I was in Koh Lipe (where I think I'd do the course if I do it) and it was nice enough and cheap enough to me a good middle ground :)
Most of the sites around Koh Lipe aren't that great and inspiring.
I will be visiting Lanta and Lipe next Feb/Mar. The conditions were pretty awful on my last visit(Feb 2024).

Philippines(PG) would be a lot cheaper than Koh Lipe especially for accommodation. And the dives are even better. No need to waste any time on travelling to the dive sites(95%+).

I will be visiting Lanta and Lipe next Feb/Mar. The conditions were pretty awful on my last visit(Feb 2024).
Only one of my four visits to Koh Lipe was affected by the wind/weather. Even then we got some descent dives, 45 minutes to a dive site isn't that unususl for U.K. divers. Still working in being out there to dive with you.

Only one of my four visits to Koh Lipe was affected by the wind/weather. Even then we got some descent dives, 45 minutes to a dive site isn't that unususl for U.K. divers. Still working in being out there to dive with you.
I am comparing Indonesia and Thailand for diving as a whole.
Travelling to the sites is never an issue for me. It was a full day trip for two dives at Scapa Flow. No more dry suit!!!
Take your time on your decision.
US$38.00 for a small AC cottage in Koh Lipe while it is US$12.00 for a big AC room in Koh Lanta but the sites are far far away. Nothing is perfect.

LOL.
There is no right or wrong, just different opinion.
Where else beside Koh Lanta and Similan offering good diving.
Koh Chang, Koh Lipe, Koh Phuket, Koh Tao(+ Phangan).
I had made two diving trips to Pattaya and never got wet except under the shower in the hotel room.
Losin(never been) is also for LoB only.
In my book, Indonesia and Philippines are head and shoulder better than Thailand for diving. Malaysia and Thailand is 2nd tier.

Philippines(PG) would be a lot cheaper than Koh Lipe especially for accommodation. And the dives are even better. No need to waste any time on travelling to the dive sites(95%+).
Thailand and Malaysia are definitely NOT on the same tier. Thailand is so much better than Malaysia!

I'm curious however how could Philippines be cheaper, considering Philippines is notoriously a more expensive country...
I'd be going back to Koh Lipe, because I've dived there before and I know the school. The dive sites were nice (bit as much as Komodo obviously but much better than Malaysia) and the price is quite cheap!

Thailand and Malaysia are definitely NOT on the same tier. Thailand is so much better than Malaysia!

I'm curious however how could Philippines be cheaper, considering Philippines is notoriously a more expensive country...
I'd be going back to Koh Lipe, because I've dived there before and I know the school. The dive sites were nice (bit as much as Komodo obviously but much better than Malaysia) and the price is quite cheap!
Rather than pre-book your DM course. Get to the island and visit and talk to them before you commit.

I do hope though that becoming DM will make me a better diver.

Unlikely.

What prompted your desire to become a DM?

The reason I ask is because when I first got certified, I was bombarded with marketing to “join the elite”. I’ll admit there was some temptation there.

However, I was fortunate in that I had a career of experience in establishing courses, training and certifying people for mental and physical, performance-based skills and activities. I perceived the application criteria to become a DM and Instructor was rather low. I just wanted to become the best diver I could be but the certifying agency was already clobbering me to get on board with their scheme of “the industry” .

I wasn’t against becoming an instructor (in fact, I’m a coach/instructor in another hobby) but the marketing hustle to “join the elite” when I was still just trying to focus on fundamental proficiency seemed like a weak grab for dollars.

It became clear to me the technical route was how I could get the training I felt I was supposed to have.

Once tech trained and certified I started more closely observing crew operations, planning and underwater skills of DMs and Instructors. I’m an ENFJ (Myers-Briggs) so it’s in my nature to get the best out of people and to help minimize our shortcomings. Unfortunately, I have to share that I’ve met very few DMs and Instructors who I felt had achieved mastery of diving. Most of the time their general proficiency has left me seeing a transparent and sloppy effort to get free diving.

So, I encourage you to think hard about what put you on the path to become a DM so you can ensure you’ve got your bow pointed down the appropriate channel.

Enjoy your journey and keep us posted!

The DiveMasters with the bests kills that I’ve seen are technical divers. Their skills didn’t come from the DiveMaster syllabus.

Edit: just seen the typo!

Unlikely.

What prompted your desire to become a DM?

The reason I ask is because when I first got certified, I was bombarded with marketing to “join the elite”. I’ll admit there was some temptation there.

However, I was fortunate in that I had a career of experience in establishing courses, training and certifying people for mental and physical, performance-based skills and activities. I perceived the application criteria to become a DM and Instructor was rather low. I just wanted to become the best diver I could be but the certifying agency was already clobbering me to get on board with their scheme of “the industry” .

I wasn’t against becoming an instructor (in fact, I’m a coach/instructor in another hobby) but the marketing hustle to “join the elite” when I was still just trying to focus on fundamental proficiency seemed like a weak grab for dollars.

It became clear to me the technical route was how I could get the training I felt I was supposed to have.

Once tech trained and certified I started more closely observing crew operations, planning and underwater skills of DMs and Instructors. I’m an ENFJ (Myers-Briggs) so it’s in my nature to get the best out of people and to help minimize our shortcomings. Unfortunately, I have to share that I’ve met very few DMs and Instructors who I felt had achieved mastery of diving. Most of the time their general proficiency has left me seeing a transparent and sloppy effort to get free diving.

So, I encourage you to think hard about what put you on the path to become a DM so you can ensure you’ve got your bow pointed down the appropriate channel.

Enjoy your journey and keep us posted!
Wasn't my post clear enough about the reasons why I am considering the course? 😅
I'm thinking a lot these days and I also considered that while I have the time and means to do this now, I might not in the future if I go back to "normal life", so I might just miss it and regret it in the future.
I am also a very ambitious person and I think that also has a part in my decision, I naturally tend to always want to get better and "become more".

However, I really don't understand when people say that the DM course won't make you a better diver. Except for obviously getting to dive more, isn't your instructor helping you, other than just for DM related things? 🤔

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom