Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure there's a formula for asking yourself for the rest of your life why you didn't do something, multiplied by

Becoming a DM and you are no longer diving for you. You aren't off exploring and taking in all the beauty. You are now a baby sitter. It is work. You are herding cats. Your focus in on the other divers, not the diving.

Take a hobby and turn it into a job... ruin fun.

Your question was something like "Why people are usually against it?"

The answer is partially in your answer. You don't improve your diving because of the course, you improve it because of diving - but you could dive anyway without taking the course :)

About navigation - same thing, it's about diving more, not about becoming a DM.

Take the course if you have a good reason to take it - and apparently, you do have one.

PS I considered so many times becoming a DM too; my idea is to take the course with a serious diving center to learn how to manage people, so in case I travel and I have an inexperienced insta-buddy I am prepared. However, this is too much of a weak reason because it happens so rarely

Tech diving is not necessarily about depth. Some challenging overhead environments have an average depth of less than 30ft/10m. And, trust me, they could be damn more challenging than diving to 50/60m.

About the limits, don't look too much at industry standards - it is wiser to look at what you know, what your skills are, and what you are comfortable doing.

{Edit: SERIOUSLY, introductory tech courses BEFORE DM (or during). These courses are about bringing basic skills to a different level, which is quite important before becoming a DM; I can't say how many DMs I have seen with sub-optimal skills. They won't kill you (most likely), but it's just not optimal. If you are top-notch, you don't care about these courses, just go for the DM. If you are not top-notch yet - just do an introductory tech course as the next step}

Fine, just ensure the diving center is a very high-quality one :)
Thanks so much.
Admittedly my main reason is because I want to have the experience of living that lifestyle for a bit, and doing it for 2 months would cost me the same price as travelling for 2 months and would be cheaper than just doing fun dives for 2 months.
I do hope that if you do it as a DM you'd learn better though, I mean your instructor should actually teach you how to get better at navigation, say, rather than while doing fun dives it would be only on you to learn by yourself.

But I'll definitely look into the tech course, seems interesting!

Hi Isa,

Normally for someone with a U.K. location I’d suggest going for BSAC Dive Leader (DM equivalent as both meet EN 14153-3/ISO 24801-3 - 'Dive Leader'). However, you say your in SEA, then my recommendation to look at is DJL on Koh Tao, Thailand as not only do they teach basic courses, but open circuit and rebreather technical skills as well. Koh Tao also has relatively cheap accommodation for DM trainees. Tim Lawrence the owner is from London.
Thank you! I am currently trying to decide between Koh Lipe and Malaysia because I've been already diving there and I know the dive schools and instructors. I considered Koh Tao as I heard it's quite good and cheap, so I might think about going there and just see how it is before making a decision.

Thank you! I am currently trying to decide between Koh Lipe and Malaysia because I've been already diving there and I know the dive schools and instructors. I considered Koh Tao as I heard it's quite good and cheap, so I might think about going there and just see how it is before making a decision.
DJL is on Koh Lipe to. I’ve dived with Tim at both places, we even did a mandatory deco dive on the Wk Yong. Koh Lipe is a bit more expensive, but more laid back. I spent a week there last year diving with the BSAC Branch from Penang.

There's no reason to not become a Dive Master and I object to the comment that it won't make you a better diver. After the basic courses, and before the DM class, I'd highly recommend that you take a cavern class. It was one of the best courses that I took for skills. I volunteer at a local aquarium and needed the DM certification for working with the public on Guest Dive Experiences in our main tank. I've never used my certification with students or on a boat, but it did make me a better diver by the skills that we went over and also by thinking about other divers as opposed to just me and my buddy.

DiveMaster's aren't masters of diving. It's mainly a marketing term.

DiveMasters are workers in a dive shop hearding paying punters around, filling tanks, cleaning kit, sweeping up, selling courses and equipment... Occasionally leading dives (you need to know the location though) and maybe helping an instructor.

DiveMaster skills aren't deep nor wide. When you're a baby diver you know nothing and the DiveMaster seems to be an expert. Develop your skills and you then see that it's not the internationally recognised badge of skills.

Go diving. Get better at it. Work out what you want to see and do.

Edit: do your Rescue Diver course. That’s the last of the PADI non-“pro” courses for recreational diving. IMHO the best course PADI does.

Reactions: Zef
There's no reason to not become a Dive Master and I object to the comment that it won't make you a better diver. After the basic courses, and before the DM class, I'd highly recommend that you take a cavern class. It was one of the best courses that I took for skills. I volunteer at a local aquarium and needed the DM certification for working with the public on Guest Dive Experiences in our main tank. I've never used my certification with students or on a boat, but it did make me a better diver by the skills that we went over and also by thinking about other divers as opposed to just me and my buddy.
I'd love that (I want to do a bunch of specialities) but I don't know if there is the option where I will be. I'll definitely do it in the future!

Back
Top Bottom