Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Quigley Down Under" is a great movie...Great scene with the bucket and his rifle in the beginning. So is "Once Upon a Time in the West"...best opening western scene ever. The scuba connection? Bad guy kills man, man's brother seeks revenge, man's brother gets revenge, the west is conqured, allowing mankind to invent scuba diving, man decides to solo dive.

There, no hijack violation.:eyebrow:

Let it be said I play by the rules...unless it outlaws solo diving....

Jon

hey, hey...NAUI is great.

broke your leg huh?

you sound accident prone, maybe you shouldn't solo.

I do 90% of my dives solo in the 15-25 foot range. I've been diving a long time and its one of the many bad habits I've acquired over the years. I do a lot of weekday beach dives when the weather is perfect. If I'm driving by the beach and it looks good, I go home and get my gear.

There has been a lot of discussion on all the things that a diver can control but entanglement is my biggest fear. Anyone who has wrestled a line that was wrapped around their tank/regulator realizes how difficult it is to untangle yourself, it takes a buddy a couple of flips of the line and your free.

There are all kinds of "invisible" mono lines that have come out in the last few years. Hair diameter 50lb test is common. If you get wrapped up in this you have problems. If it happens at the beginning of the dive you can probably sort it out, if it happens when you are low on air, you have serious problems. Ditching the gear may not be an option, you may be wrapped in it. This is when a buddy would be nice to have.

We are all solo diving all of the time. A "buddy" or Team member" can be just as much of a hazard as any mono line etc. Be prepared to help yourself.

Actually, he is not :) He is team diving when with a team, buddy diving when with a buddy.

There are some hazardous buddies out there. I don't dive with them.

Are DIR divers allowed to solo dive?

Can we name our teams. I like Sharks and Barracudas! Sure and scuba cheerleaders. I like this team idea, it could sell. I'm calling PADI first!

Diver Dennis:
Are DIR divers allowed to solo dive?
Sure why not? Solo diving doesn't negatively impact the Unified Dive Team . . .obviously, because there is no team to speak of in solo diving.

But within DIR Philosophy --just like any major Scuba Certifying Agency-- solo diving is simply not a recommended practice and should be discouraged. . .

Back
Top Bottom