Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Yep, broke my leg, I had just installed a new type of "Look" clip on on my bike instead of the toe clips (cage). With a toe clip you remove your foot from the pedal by lifting up and back but with the new Look clip ons you had to twist and pull up. I sorta forgot that and a car ran through the corner flagman (being a jackarse) and forced me agaisnt a curb and when I tried to get my foot out to catch myself I could not and I fell over against the curb and broke my leg. I could probably have sued the jackarse but I am not into that sorta thing. Heck, did not scratch my Pinerrelo and that what counted. I tried to get back on the bike but it quickly became apparent there was a structural issue. Triathlons are fun, in the Houston Bud Light I was lined up for the swim and the beach was adjacent to a construction area. The swim, just short of a mile, started with a run down the beach and into the ocean. I started running when they waved the flag and suddenly found a huge nail sticking trough my foot and a three foot long chunk of 2X4 stuck to my left foot. This was a problem, it might really slow my swimming down! I stopped and a guy stopped beside me and he helped me pry it from my foot and then with a wave he was gone, I hopped and skipped into the ocean leaving a trail of blood. The whole swim I had visions of Jaws coming up behind me on my blood trail--so I swam my fastest 1.5K ever at a blistering pace catching up with the Pros that are started ahead of the age groupers. Well, I guess the salt water stopped the bleeding enough that I finished the event with blood soaked bike shoes and blood soaked Nike going squish, squish, squish, 1.5K swim, 40K bike and 10K run, fun. N
Amazing story.... and this was solo swimming, I will bet.

Puffer Fish:
Depends on what you are wearing and how you are tied up. In a 7mm with hood, gloves and boots, you need to try that to see just how hard that is to do, unless you are really deep.

Because of the effect of being so buoyant, when you get out of the BC, you will be floating up, and if the line is in the wrong position....not good.

With a weight belt - no big deal.

But diving with a weight belt is only one of a lot of equipment changes you should make.

I have tried it in the pool, but of course this doesn't accurately simulate most diving environments. Good comments, thanks!

Yeah, the worst part was afterwards, my wife drug me to the emergency room, I hate hospitals and doctors and needles. Yep, had to get a tetnus shot and X-ray my foot, it was very traumatic, still haven't gotten over it--lol. I will have to tell how I was bitten by a Copperhead Snake in a cross country race sometime, that was when I came to hate hospitals, doctors and needles! N

fndmylove:
I have tried it in the pool, but of course this doesn't accurately simulate most diving environments. Good comments, thanks!
If you have a pool, then try it with a weight belt on...the danger of having the weight on your BC is that you may be floating into the entanglement.

Assuming you have several cutting devices on either side of you, and a pony bottle... I would think one could get out of 99% of any issue.

Diver Dennis:
Innocent question Puff. I'm curious about how they feel about it and whether it is OK for them. One of the reasons I took Advanced Nitrox and Deco was to give me better skills for solo.
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Just be prepared. . .

If you really want to solo dive, you should be trained in the use of manifolded doubles and carry an Emergency PLB. All of this should be on your kit as well:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1562624&postcount=7

Solo diving is not ok, DIR or not :) <-------- My opinion.

Kevrumbo:
--Just be prepared. . .

If you really want to solo dive, you should be trained in the use of manifolded doubles and carry an Emergency PLB. All of this should be on your kit as well:
got it,,, have it.... got two of those.... darn, only have a 50lb smb... will have to get a bigger one....only use LED lights (as should everyone). Much as I love doubles, a single and a pony works very nice...Oh, and you left off the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.... it come in handing in almost any emergency.

Kevrumbo:
--Just be prepared. . .

I am trained in the use of manifolded doubles but that's not my question.

Nemrod:
Yeah, the worst part was afterwards, my wife drug me to the emergency room, I hate hospitals and doctors and needles. Yep, had to get a tetnus shot and X-ray my foot, it was very traumatic, still haven't gotten over it--lol. I will have to tell how I was bitten by a Copperhead Snake in a cross country race sometime, that was when I came to hate hospitals, doctors and needles! N
I will bet you were solo again.... my gosh man, will you never learn?

And you are allowed to actually go diving? Amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom