Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other day I was diving with five other people. All the divers except me have 1000+ dives. All of the other divers droped together but not one came up with anyone els. All where solo diving and that is the way it is. Half of all the divers I now dive solo and drop solo too.
Be safe, be smart,have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrumbo
Sure why not? Solo diving doesn't negatively impact the Unified Dive Team . . .obviously, because there is no team to speak of in solo diving.

But within DIR Philosophy --just like any major Scuba Certifying Agency-- solo diving is simply not a recommended practice and should be discouraged. . .
Are there many DIR divers who do, even though it is outside the DIR philosophy?

Diver Dennis:
Originally Posted by Kevrumbo
Sure why not? Solo diving doesn't negatively impact the Unified Dive Team . . .obviously, because there is no team to speak of in solo diving.

But within DIR Philosophy --just like any major Scuba Certifying Agency-- solo diving is simply not a recommended practice and should be discouraged. . .

Are there many DIR divers who do, even though it is outside the DIR philosophy?
Is that kind of like the army- a dive team of one?

Doc Intrepid:
This thread resembles a very long episode of "Seinfeld"...

too bad we don't have a poster named "Kramer" to come busting through the door...

:)

yes. I just want to know if I am invisible. I really don't know how the ignore button works. Kramer is hanging over in the racists comments thread, I bet.

Nemrod:
Yep, broke my leg, I had just installed a new type of "Look" clip on on my bike instead of the toe clips (cage). With a toe clip you remove your foot from the pedal by lifting up and back but with the new Look clip ons you had to twist and pull up. I sorta forgot that and a car ran through the corner flagman (being a jackarse) and forced me agaisnt a curb and when I tried to get my foot out to catch myself I could not and I fell over against the curb and broke my leg. I could probably have sued the jackarse but I am not into that sorta thing. Heck, did not scratch my Pinerrelo and that what counted. I tried to get back on the bike but it quickly became apparent there was a structural issue. Triathlons are fun, in the Houston Bud Light I was lined up for the swim and the beach was adjacent to a construction area. The swim, just short of a mile, started with a run down the beach and into the ocean. I started running when they waved the flag and suddenly found a huge nail sticking trough my foot and a three foot long chunk of 2X4 stuck to my left foot. This was a problem, it might really slow my swimming down! I stopped and a guy stopped beside me and he helped me pry it from my foot and then with a wave he was gone, I hopped and skipped into the ocean leaving a trail of blood. The whole swim I had visions of Jaws coming up behind me on my blood trail--so I swam my fastest 1.5K ever at a blistering pace catching up with the Pros that are started ahead of the age groupers. Well, I guess the salt water stopped the bleeding enough that I finished the event with blood soaked bike shoes and blood soaked Nike going squish, squish, squish, 1.5K swim, 40K bike and 10K run, fun. N

HOLY COW. I just read your post to JB, he does tris too.

So, I had LOOK pedals, and busted my butt too. A mini van pulled out in front of me, and I could not get unclipped fast enough. So...I switched to SPD pedals. (I had the Keo Looks) The store took them back, I was so whiney about my road burn.

Now, JB just got keo's Looks and loves them. He bought the pearl izumi Tri shoes, with one flap.

Nice tale, N. Cycling is dangerous, for sure.

Originally Posted by Nemrod
Yep, broke my leg, I had just installed a new type of "Look" clip on on my bike instead of the toe clips (cage). With a toe clip you remove your foot from the pedal by lifting up and back but with the new Look clip ons you had to twist and pull up. I sorta forgot that and a car ran through the corner flagman (being a jackarse) and forced me agaisnt a curb and when I tried to get my foot out to catch myself I could not and I fell over against the curb and broke my leg.

Originally posted by catherine96821 So, I had LOOK pedals, and busted my butt too. A mini van pulled out in front of me, and I could not get unclipped fast enough. So...I switched to SPD pedals. (I had the Keo Looks) The store took them back, I was so whiney about my road burn.

I think I have you both beat, I switched from toe clips to clipless Shimano pedals on my mountainbike, loved the extra power on the up-stroke. So I go for a nice long ride in the hills, come back through downtown at rush hour-no problems yet. Pulled up into the center between two rows of cars at a stoplight and very smoothly forgot to twist and pull. I promptly fell over in front of several dozen cheering, honking commuters.
If they ever invent clipless fins I'm done diving.

As for the entaglement issue. I wonder if this is something that would be reasonable or prudent to "practice". What I mean would be to have a buddy entangle you in a pool or other controlled setting. You could try it blindfolded, inverted, low on air etc...
I haven't heard of anyone running drills on this, but it seems like it is a serious enough concern to warrant it.

Deleted by Doc.

TOS violation.

Back
Top Bottom