Why I have decided to stop shopping for ANYTHING at the LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I for one am sick of the "I make no money off of this" comment.. I am starting to here this more and more from a few LDS. Are they just saying that because they feel guilty aboutgouging us with a 250% mark up?? no sure, but it makes me go HMMM...

yea, well I aint shopping there anymore.

lord1234:
yea, well I aint shopping there anymore.

Whatever floats your boat.

You have somewhere else to get air?

Terry

I don't know, it's hard to MF every shop because of the actions of some. Although I agree for the most part. I guess im lucky to have a LDS that treats me very well, I don't know if it,s proper to name names here, but N.E. dive center in wallingford CT. was more than good to me the first time I walked in there, and that has never changed. Just last Saturday I was running late and called them, and they stayed open past their closing time, just to fill my tanks. I thought that was above and beyond. They have a great shop, full of stuff, and allways have time for you, no matter how buisy they are. I do have "the other kind of shop" here as well, I hate to say it, but I think that sometimes a shop just wont like some divers, but seem to love others. Go figure?
I think that personalities clash, You just have to look arround. But I don't believe that all shops are bad. Like any other business, time will ferret them out, and they will be there own undoing. MANY are obviously doing somthing very wrong by the heat they seem to be bringing on themselves. But there is no way that I would have paid that price after being quoted a far lower price. I would have politely told them that the item was not worth the asking price, and left it with them. No confrontation needed.

The trick with LDSs is to find one that works for you, and build a relationship with them. Once you have that, it makes life much easier... You don't feel like you get screwed every time. You know what to expect, and they don't try to make you feel like an *** if you didn't buy a piece of gear from them for one reason or another. In other words find a shop that is reasonable and doesn't have a problem with common sense. Granted, most of the time it comes down to employees working at the shop, vs. the shop itself...

-Roman.

In this day and age, $3 air fills is pretty cheap. Compressors, repairs, filters, testing, etc., total expense is probably close to that. So I wouldn't make it a baby/bathwater thing.

What I do when I order an item (not just scuba gear) is to whip out my little notebook and note date ordered,salesperson's name and price quoted. When the item arrives, I expect it to be at that price and do not accept it if priced higher. I do not get angry, I just show the notation and say that I'm sorry, but I cannot accept it at a price that is higher than I was quoted. If he won't meet his quote, I politely thank him leave. HE IS SUPPOSED TO KNOW HIS BUSINESS and current costs are part of that business. If he decides that he no longer wants to fill my tanks, well c'est la vie.

notabob:
The trick with LDSs is to find one that works for you, and build a relationship with them. Once you have that, it makes life much easier... You don't feel like you get screwed every time. You know what to expect, and they don't try to make you feel like an *** if you didn't buy a piece of gear from them for one reason or another. In other words find a shop that is reasonable and doesn't have a problem with common sense. Granted, most of the time it comes down to employees working at the shop, vs. the shop itself...

-Roman.
LOL, Roman, I don't mean to pick on you just because I copied the quote above.

But does anyone else find it ironic that you have to "build a relationship" with an LDS to get good service at a decent price? Do you build a relationship with your grocer? Your dentist? I've heard far too many stories of rude dive shops. And I've been in several near me that just makes me wonder why they're still in business at all!!!

The very first one I went into couldn't see the dollar signs attached to me. I had completed my OW in Mexico. Squeaky fresh temporary c-card. I owned ZERO equipment. I knew NOBODY else that dived. I TOLD them this. Now, I wonder how much effort it would have taken to get this really excited n00b too show up at an 'open pool' session to meet some divers, try out some equipment. I didn't even own a mask. I could have easily been sucked into a full kit purchase, and AOW. Let alone drysuit and cert, plus whatever other card they could think of to sell me. Same experience in a few other shops. Give me decent service and I'll buy. Give me great service and I'll buy a lot.

But DON'T expect ME to 'build a relationship' so I can buy from you!!!!!

You should expect first rate service and a first rate experience every time you walk into a dive shop. And if the shop is smart THEY build the relationship. I have one shop near me that I go into for purchases when I know exactly what I need because I talk to other divers about it. I stopped in and rented two tanks, called ahead even. Amazed the hell out of me, no one ever mentioned SELLING me a tank. DUH???? I guess I hadn't adequately 'built' the relationship to warrant that level of service. :hmmm:

This is going to sound a bit strange.
I use two shops around here, I FLAT OUT TOLD THEM I buy stuff ONLINE. I'm not afraid to tell them I want to save money. When they asked why I didn't purchase some of my equipment from them, I told them they were too expensive. They weren't too happy but they know that i've bought stuff from them in the past and they aren't going to persuade me not to buy anything online.

I will generally give them a chance to match prices or if it's at least reasonable, I will buy it locally. Otherwise, Internet it is. The elitist attitude of most LDSs doesn't bother me.

In reality, they are right though. Diving really isn't a very popular sport, they are probably losing money. Believe it or not that mark up on scuba equipment is very similiar to other sporting goods. It doesn't make it right but its true.

Moral of the story is, if its cheaper buy it online. Survival of the fittest, if they can't compete, it's their problem.

-Mike

macado:
Moral of the story is, if its cheaper buy it online. Survival of the fittest, if they can't compete, it's their problem.

... and if you think scuba gear is expensive, wait'll you gotta maintain a compressor ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom