Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been reading this forum for quite some time and it was posts that I read in the DIR thread that prompted my question. I dive with an Air 2 I like my Air 2 I am a tek diver and have received some ribbing for my choice by people who share many of their opinions with certain people on this board. After reading many posts by people who dislike the Air2 I decided to chime in and discover the true root for their dislike of something I couldn’t see any problem with. Its not about setting anyone up to look like a hater, I just wanted and explanation for posts like "well he dives an Air2, what do you expect" Everyone has their opinions on gear (I have already told how far out of the "norm" mine is) but I dislike people making snide ( if unintentionally so ) comments about other divers choices without backing it up with facts as to why an individual’s equipment choice poses an actual danger to that person or his dive buddy.

Fair enough. Remember though, that most my dive buddies rib and kid those they like and respect, while those they do not, or think unsafe, they avoid like the plaugue.

A month ago I took a dry suit class with my PADI friends, Rich Morin, in Lake George. I did the class in my BP/W, and boy, did I get some ribbing for THAT! We like and respect each other, but boy can we be hard on our friends, and make them squirm to defend their gear choices. Part of the fun and games of diving. I had to defend my choice, and explain WHY I had a 7 ft hose. Not a personal attact, but gentle ribbing, and an interest in listening to my responses, by diver I respect. They did make me squirm.

A bet by one of those firends that weekend, that I could not don my DIR rig in the old "fireman's", over the head don, prompted me to play around, and figure out that, yes, I can don it over the head, just like my old J/valve 72, or a recreational 80single. The ribbing makes you think, and question your self sometimes, which is part of growing and adapting the best for you.

My little brother still dives a very old version of an Air/whatever it was called back then. It works very well for him, and honestly, provides a personal air source, should he need to donate his long(er) hose, in a similar way as my bungied short hose reg does.

True dat ... but notice that those are always the threads that get the most responses.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's because we luuuv a trainwreck, can't tear ourselves away.
Ever notice how the boards that are dedicated to one certain philosophy/style and don't allow any flaming seem to be very slow moving sometimes, it's because everyone gets along and they're boring.
It's the ones full of drama that are fun.

Dale, for that matter, the old style plastic (?) backplate and simple harness that we used int the 70's are still available today at some stores...the Force E in Riviera Beach has one I just saw the other day...They were comfortable, and particularly when you are diving a skin, and your bouyancy will be constant, I used to love diving in these with no bc at all... Not DIR, but for a 83 degree water temp on a 30 foot reef, who cares?

Those ABS backpacks aren't bad for 80' 46F dives as well!

Picture2003-15.jpg
Picture2008-9-1-2.jpg

Just to continue this issue, My air2 is connected to my bc, and depending on which reg set I choose to use, it either has an octo or just a single SS. If I use the rig with two regs I am adding a third reg into the mix. Am I adding an additional safety device or am I introducing a possible source of confusion as to who gets which reg and which one to grab first? On my single reg setup the primary is on a yellow hose, but on the rig with the octo, both hoses are black, while the octo itself is yellow. However the octo is sometimes stored in the octo pocket on the bc so you cant even see it to know it is yellow without taking it out of the pocket. Also, if having a third aas is good then maybe I could add some more as I have a few left over low pressure ports on my first stage. I should probably use different length hoses for each aas. Please discuss amoungst yourselves!

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Why do we hate the Air2?

Some divers look at that guy, in the dry suit and still only three hoses because he has an air intergrated computer too and think that with their more hoses, more mechanical things that the Air2 user is not serious about reducing points of failure.

If you are an open water diver doing no deco diving, look after your kit and test it, do some regular practice with your life support gear with your dive buddies any currently supported safe second is safe. Don't attach an Air2 to your BCD and learn to use when your buddy needs it just the same as don't do the 7' foot hose thing with a bungeed alternet under your chin so you can figure it out when fan gets messed up.

Your response to an emergency will be based on what you have trained and practiced for.

Those ABS backpacks aren't bad for 80' 46F dives as well!

View attachment 99164
View attachment 99165
I have to say I loved using the abs plates/harness in the 70's and early 80's, till the charter boats started saying you had to wear a bc or horse collar--I did not like the horse collars ever, and the early vest bc's were just so much more drag than the harness/plate by itself--so I hated them.

We did not have the temperature extremes -- no 46 degree dives....with a wetsuit - even 70 degree water meant that you would be light on the surface, and heavy on the bottom. But none of us were all that concerned about the bottom in the 70's, and NO ONE did safety stops :)

Just to continue this issue, My air2 is connected to my bc, and depending on which reg set I choose to use, it either has an octo or just a single SS. If I use the rig with two regs I am adding a third reg into the mix. Am I adding an additional safety device or am I introducing a possible source of confusion as to who gets which reg and which one to grab first? On my single reg setup the primary is on a yellow hose, but on the rig with the octo, both hoses are black, while the octo itself is yellow. However the octo is sometimes stored in the octo pocket on the bc so you cant even see it to know it is yellow without taking it out of the pocket. Also, if having a third aas is good then maybe I could add some more as I have a few left over low pressure ports on my first stage. I should probably use different length hoses for each aas. Please discuss amoungst yourselves!

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Sounds almost as bad as my screwed-up set-up. AIR2, Primary and a pony. We should go diving together and see how many different ways we can share air.

On a related note, I know you made your comment in jest but I knew a guy who was on a search/recovery team for the volunteer fire department. He wanted to get an octo for every available port he had. To quote him 'That a way I could bring up like 4 or 5 people at a time.' :shakehead:

I lost contact with him after that but I have to admit, I did want a picture of this configuration. It brings new meaning to the term Octopus.

Sounds almost as bad as my screwed-up set-up. AIR2, Primary and a pony. We should go diving together and see how many different ways we can share air.

On a related note, I know you made your comment in jest but I knew a guy who was on a search/recovery team for the volunteer fire department. He wanted to get an octo for every available port he had. To quote him 'That a way I could bring up like 4 or 5 people at a time.' :shakehead:

I lost contact with him after that but I have to admit, I did want a picture of this configuration. It brings new meaning to the term Octopus.

LOL! Ambitious fellow, eh. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom