Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All is not lost. It turns out an AIR 2 is exactly what I need for this rig. Thanks ScubaBoard :D

robosock005.jpg
robosock001.jpg

Dale, did you make that rig or is it a vintage one, so you are now going to use the Air2 on your vest. I thought of a Air2 my old one, then maybe a Pheonix on the double hose, yet just still debating to modernize. And thought at one time to just use Air2 as primary on vest like the one you shown.

Of course since the Air2 is now a part of the DIR configuration (ones that wear dir configuration, but are not there in theory), like some DIR divers, that are truly DIR divers that wear split fins.

So Dale you are now a vintage DIR Air2 diver, congratulations are in order, of course you are going to set the new solo standard for this right.

The second 1/2 of this post is to simulated NWGD post.

But For the serious GUE/DIR divers, they have not posted, for they have no need to worry about the Air2, cause it is not what they dive as a team, and they do not let others bother them of different configurations.

I don't know about the rest of that post but that is a prototype of a Hawaiian pack I am going to build out of West System epoxied wood and brass. I saw a DIY plywood backpack project in an old book once and the image always stuck with me. I also have always wanted a Hawaiian pack so I decided to combine the two.
I did two dives with it today, one with the R109 and one with my DAAM. With the LP inflator velcroed to the left hoop it was easy to locate and connect to my HC. I really liked loosing the waist strap, flipping the rig over my head and swimming with it out in front like sidemount divers when they unclip the butt clips to go through restrictions. For a while I felt just like I had a dead scooter in my hands. I don't know about the AIR2 really but it would work well in this application.

Right on.

Admittedly, I'm on the outside looking in, without enough scuba experience to have an informed opinion about much of anything, but what I've seen so far leads me to believe that the "DIR" business is akin to a "my way or the highway" mindset, and I want no part of that wherever I see it. It's not hard to spot people who you'd "like to buy them for what they're worth, and sell them for what they think they're worth".

It is not "DIR" to stand around and make cracks about the way a normal group of recreational divers are configured, or the way they dive. No one I have ever dived with, has ever done this on a boat, or anywhere else. The "bad apples" who we read aboout in a previous post, that were doing this, are not doing this because they are DIR, they are doing it because in any large population of "people", you are going to have cool, average, and uncool people. DIR can't really screen this out --though in our own selection of dive buddies, we can, and should, pick buddies we like and that dive ( as a buddy) the way we expect them to----the whole mutual responsibility thing is agreed on by them and us.
I really can't see how you would fault this....There is no reason to dive with people you don't like---and let's face it, you can't like everybody....and there is no reason to dive with ( buddy with) people that don't agree at all with your ideas on what a buddy is supposed to do. :confused:

It's like trying to defend Christians. You're dealing with someone elses perceptions of either Mother Teresa or Jerry Falwell; depending on who they've previously had contact with.

Dale Maybe the Hawaiian's had something there, with the rig made like it is, I know it is easy to hook on side of small boat, and climb in other side.

I am sure Air2 would be a good added feature to the rig.

Dale, for that matter, the old style plastic (?) backplate and simple harness that we used int the 70's are still available today at some stores...the Force E in Riviera Beach has one I just saw the other day...They were comfortable, and particularly when you are diving a skin, and your bouyancy will be constant, I used to love diving in these with no bc at all... Not DIR, but for a 83 degree water temp on a 30 foot reef, who cares?

I did not read back threw all the posts in this thread. Skipped around a lot. I found some interesting, even useful info, as well as the usual rants and :soapbox:

I am one who simply does not understand the near hatered some divers seem to have for anyone who dives differently than they choose to. It is all diving, and unless someone's actions creat risk, there is room for all of us.

On our DNY trip to Bonaire a few weeks back we had 27 divers, split roughly 50/50 between traditional BCD and BP/W set ups. Two sidemount divers, one recreational diver with spare air, and I believe a couple ofAir II set ups. As I said, room for all. No one had any issues that they expressed to me as group leader on the trip.

I currently am diving a wing myself, set up in a DIR configuration, and enjoy diving it, but have no trouble sharing dives with divers in entirely different gear combos, or even switching back to dive one of my rec setups.

I do take the time before a dive to make sure I am familiar with other diver's gear, in case there is a problem. I believe that every diver owes that safety concern to every other diver they are going to be U/W with.

Having said that, as I understand the concept; DIR was, and still may be, an evolving gear configuration agreed upon between divers involved in some very serious, potentially high risk diving. The concept was created to ensure that a team of divers in such a high risk environment could respond instantly, and instinctively to a team mate's emergency. Standardized equipment choices, well defined team training and performance standards gives such divers a better chance of returning alive from every dive.

I find a lot of the DIR training very usefull in my regular recreational diving, yet have no issues mixing with divers who are not so trained, as long as they exhibit safe diving practices. Should I continue into more hazardous diving situations in the future, I can see why narrowing my choice of dive partners to someone specifically trained and equiped similar to myself could become a serious safety concern.

I get very tired of seeing one style of diver belittling another style of diver. Usually such rants only lead me to conclude that the poster or ranter, understands very little about the subject.

I did not read back threw all the posts in this thread. Skipped around a lot. I found some interesting, even useful info, as well as the usual rants and :soapbox:

I am one who simply does not understand the near hatered some divers seem to have for anyone who dives differently than they choose to. It is all diving, and unless someone's actions creat risk, there is room for all of us.

On our DNY trip to Bonaire a few weeks back we had 27 divers, split roughly 50/50 between traditional BCD and BP/W set ups. Two sidemount divers, one recreational diver with spare air, and I believe a couple ofAir II set ups. As I said, room for all. No one had any issues that they expressed to me as group leader on the trip.

I currently am diving a wing myself, set up in a DIR configuration, and enjoy diving it, but have no trouble sharing dives with divers in entirely different gear combos, or even switching back to dive one of my rec setups.

I do take the time before a dive to make sure I am familiar with other diver's gear, in case there is a problem. I believe that every diver owes that safety concern to every other diver they are going to be U/W with.

Having said that, as I understand the concept; DIR was, and still may be, an evolving gear configuration agreed upon between divers involved in some very serious, potentially high risk diving. The concept was created to ensure that a team of divers in such a high risk environment could respond instantly, and instinctively to a team mate's emergency. Standardized equipment choices, well defined team training and performance standards gives such divers a better chance of returning alive from every dive.

I find a lot of the DIR training very usefull in my regular recreational diving, yet have no issues mixing with divers who are not so trained, as long as they exhibit safe diving practices. Should I continue into more hazardous diving situations in the future, I can see why narrowing my choice of dive partners to someone specifically trained and equiped similar to myself could become a serious safety concern.

I get very tired of seeing one style of diver belittling another style of diver. Usually such rants only lead me to conclude that the poster or ranter, understands very little about the subject.

Gypsy Jim,
Good post....my only issue is that I still don't see where any of the DIR's on this board, said anything derogatory about a non-DIR diver's diving....or anything negative about non-dir's in general....

If I did not do it, if Lynne did not do it, if NW Greatfull diver did not do it, if none of the other regulare DIR contributors did it...then why are we being vilified as being so snotty? All I recall is posts we answered where we tried to help...

Back
Top Bottom