Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are you going to vent your bc if you have to use it? Its in your mouth. Are you going to take it out and raise it up every time you need to vent? What about the fact that its right in your face. Are you going to vent all the air in your face?

Use one of the dump valves? I have one on my right shoulder and one on the bottom also on the right.... Pull the string and it vents air.

It is just personal preference and what works best for the type of diving you want to do.

Personally, I love my Air2. I have had to share air and had no problems. I used my other dump valves while I ascended. It was easy to breath from. Different from my primary, but not hard to breath from. I keep it close so no dangling. It works for me.

For others this set up doesn't work for them. They do diving that makes this setup not practical. Or they just prefer to have an octo instead of giving their primary in an emergency. That's ok too. Again, it is all personal preference and what makes you comfortable when you dive. Whichever setup you choose, make sure you are familiar with it to use it quickly no matter the situation.

Use one of the dump valves? I have one on my right shoulder and one on the bottom also on the right.... Pull the string and it vents air.

1. How exactly are you going to use the bottom dump valve whilst sharing air on a short hose?

2. How do you perform your air-share, with an emphasis on maintain contact/control of your OOA receiver, whilst maintaining buoyancy between the LPI (input) and shoulder-dump (output)? What hand does what? How much juggling is involved? What capacity remains to deal with other taskings (clearing mask, holding ascent line/reel/dsmb, assisting buddy with their buoyancy, if reqd)?

I'm not being negative... it just seems like a very convoluted and complex set of procedures would need to be used... which might cause a task-overload for the diver?

Judging from your other recent comments on it, it wouldn't seem that that the challenge with ascents is the only bad part.

I don't know if that still applies or not. I asked a question about it and nobody answered it.

R..

I don't think the AIRII concept goes far enough;

AIRIII - AAS + LPI + Strobe

AIR IV - AAS + LPI + Strobe + Dive Computer

AIR V - AAS + LPI + Strobe + Dive Computer + Reel

AIR VI - AAS + LPI + Strobe + Dive Computer + Reel + Knife

AIR VII - AAS + LPI + Strobe + Dive Computer + Reel + Knife + Emerg Beacon

AIR VIII - AAS + LPI + Strobe + Dive Computer + Reel + Knife + Emerg Beacon + Iphone

The Air 3 I have is made by Aquatec and has a sub-duck built in. As for your ideas for further generations I'd go along with all the ideas except the Iphone. While diving is probably the only place I can take refuge from others trying to contact me. The rest of the features are fine as long as they stow well, don't signicantly increase overall weight, don't interfere with it's primary duties as a power inflator and auxilary air supply, and deploys the extra features easily when needed and not before. If you can engineer it to those parameters you may have a valuable idea.:idk:

For the love of the FSM, please shoot this thread in the head. 27 pages of the same argument we've had on this subject every 6 months for years now.

threadkiller128524335047819072.jpg

Rabbit if you are looking for light weight, this is your solution, you do need a hand to operate for ease though.

This is the thing that saved me once in a silo made on a derrick, I went in to go deep into silt to locate and hook up. Zero VIS.

I take it on every dive on holiday, and always on work dives, my other has the Air2 fitting on, and have plenty extra in stock.

Attachments

• DSC05008.jpg
    DSC05008.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 141
1. How exactly are you going to use the bottom dump valve whilst sharing air on a short hose?

2. How do you perform your air-share, with an emphasis on maintain contact/control of your OOA receiver, whilst maintaining buoyancy between the LPI (input) and shoulder-dump (output)? What hand does what? How much juggling is involved? What capacity remains to deal with other taskings (clearing mask, holding ascent line/reel/dsmb, assisting buddy with their buoyancy, if reqd)?

I'm not being negative... it just seems like a very convoluted and complex set of procedures would need to be used... which might cause a task-overload for the diver?
They way I teach using the AirII is offer your primary, start breathing of your own AirII and make sure your buddy is calm and under control. Grip your buddy's right bc strap with your right hand. Now my left hand is free to use for whatever I need it for. I can deflate, inflate clear mask, check ascent rate or anything else that is needed with one hand. IF I need to use both hands for something, them my buddy should also be holding onto my right strap so we stay close. It has worked for me for a number of years and in a handful of air-shared ascents.

They way I teach using the AirII is offer your primary, start breathing of your own AirII and make sure your buddy is calm and under control. Grip your buddy's right bc strap with your right hand. Now my left hand is free to use for whatever I need it for. I can deflate, inflate clear mask, check ascent rate or anything else that is needed with one hand. IF I need to use both hands for something, them my buddy should also be holding onto my right strap so we stay close. It has worked for me for a number of years and in a handful of air-shared ascents.

With reference specifically to utilising the right-shoulder dump valve... how do you find reaching across the torso, between you and the OOA diver, to access that?

Agreed, buddy should be securing themselves to you, but in my experience they sometimes have a little 'passive panic' and aren't very proactive. Consequently, I like to ensure that I can maintain full control, if necessary.

Devon, I have only done this a few times in an emergency, and I would go and grab my wife's primary on normal hose length, she Air2 on holiday dives. We would utilize all are air and we were never in a situation that was uncomfotable, we did it in aruba, Kissing in front of a sub, all other divers were done and getting on boat, and a divemaster on board came down and joined us. After the show and sub left we then use our own gas supply to ascend.

The Air2 is no different in diving then any other AAS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom