Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcguiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Why do BCD mounted Octos like the Air2 get so much flak? is it just a DIR thing or are they considered "evil" for all divers?

I've been diving with an Air II for over a decade and have 1000+ dives with one. I've had multiple circumstances where I have had to share air with total strangers out in the real world and I've had no issues. This includes a person mugging me for my regulator on a wreck in the Keys. I've tried a bungeed backup on a short hose a few years ago. It was not for me so I went back to the Air II. There's no right or wrong just dive with what you are comfortable with.

How are you going to vent your bc if you have to use it? Its in your mouth. Are you going to take it out and raise it up every time you need to vent? What about the fact that its right in your face. Are you going to vent all the air in your face?

There is no justification of it use over a coventional Octo. The main reason cited is, one less hose, yet the contraption is connected to a giant sea anchor (jacket BCD). Iditotic.

I am NOT a DIR diver.
If that thing fails I might lose both the functions of the octo as well as inflating/dumping gas of my bc. Besides, I do not want to pay another person to teach me how to sevice it as well as sourcing the spare parts.
Many divers are using it and loving it but others just have different idea.
We are living in a free world.

How are you going to vent your bc if you have to use it? Its in your mouth. Are you going to take it out and raise it up every time you need to vent? What about the fact that its right in your face. Are you going to vent all the air in your face?

Any BC that is equipped with an AIR II should have a shoulder dump. I tend to use the shoulder dump more when diving anyway.

yet the contraption is connected to a giant sea anchor (jacket BCD). Iditotic.

What does this even mean? Connected to a "giant sea anchor jacket BCD." This is one of those word salad sentences where there are words in there that are recognizable but they are not put together in any sort of coherent or cognizant fashion.

I can't believe I am getting involved in this type of thread after telling myself I wouldn't but here goes: Dive with what you are comfortable with. For me, I personally prefer an AIR II because it's easier for me to find my backup. I don't have to worry about it being clipped off or if it's come undone and dragging in the sand. I pass the primary when I air sharing. It works for me and it's what I prefer. If it does not work for you that's fine. I've never had an incident in almost 10 years as a full time professional diver where I regretted having an AIR II over a standard backup.

A buddy of mine has his on a single tank wing, seems to work fine for him. I was thinking about switching out mine from my poodle jacket and check it out.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

If you need to use an Air2, venting your bc will be a minor problem given how the dive is going so far. If you have the problem in hand, go through the normal reg exchange procedure and add venting in the middle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom