ScubaPro Air2 Gen3 and BPI questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meaning the cleaning issue that the spin-off adaptor fixes is cleaning the bladder, not the regulator.

And so you hang your air II in a bucket, then hook it up to a tank, with your other junk, then blow it out

Big deal

You can soak your air II discon nected folks

So Phil the Greek, and his son Charlie the King and his son Bill the Prince have all been-are BSAC people

I wonder who rinses-ed their stuff

Definitely true, but it is easier and more convenient to be able to quickly unscrew a connection as I did with my old Stab jackets and as you can with the well thought out Atomics. I used to carry my air2's in my regulator bag and take it as carry on. With the newer system I leave the air2 on the BCD and check it; and rinse it as you stated. I just wonder why Scubapro has chosen to make its removal difficult. I have used the tool to remove dump but it's still a pain for anything other than servicing.

Yes, exhaust valve shaft corrosion is particularly bad in the Air2, as salt water generally sits in that compartment unless the reg is soaked. And since there's no quick disconnect like Atomic, nobody bothers to do more than a quick rinse.

Correct on the springs. The exhaust button spring eventually matched the Inflator button spring, but not early on.

And again correct on the Gen 3 being adopted by several manufacturers. I don't know if it was licensed or just copied. But Scubapro's plastics always seemed a bit sturdier than many knockoffs.

All that said, if you're going for value, and you use an integrated inflator/octo, the newer DGX BCI is by far a better performer and less expensive to boot, though not quite as low as $80.
I definitely agree regarding their plastic housings from the G250 on. Transitioning from chrome plate brass to plastics left many sceptical at the time so Scubapro made sure they were sturdy.
I am not much of fan of their use of plastics for the orifices in some of their regs. The AIR2 3RD Gen has a chrome / brass but the 4th gen which seems otherwise identical has a plastic orifice. Maybe less critical than a D400 but it still bothers me. The change to plastic orifice in the latter D400's was an abomination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom