ScubaPro Air2 Gen3 and BPI questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaloBlo

Registered
Reaction score
I got given a box of assorted inflators and Air2 from a guy whose shop did not make it after COVID, and I can use them for our thing. It seems he just did not like working on gear and just bought generic inflators for his replacement inflators. I also got a big box of other inflators but I am not going to do anything with those as they require factory kits, and the SPs can use generic O-rings.

There is one TUSA whatever they call it Air2 like thing, and one Gen 4 Air2 which has a sun damaged purge cover so I am just parting those two out. The rest are Gen 3's and the BPIs which were current with the Gen3 Air2s

I am a SP factory trained tech, and even current, but it has been a while since I actually worked on SP stuff. I used to do them a lot, but I guess I am forgetting some stuff.

So a couple of questions:

It seems like, from the corrosion patterns, that the inflators trap saltwater on the exhaust side? Is this the case, or was this just what happened to these inflators in a junk pile?

From reading the schematics, the springs in the Gen3 Air 2, and the inflator are all the same except for the demand valve for the regulator part of the Air2. Did earlier versions of the Gen3 use larger springs for these buttons, where the spring bottomed out on the buttons themselves instead of the plastic shoulder on the stem?

Did an earlier version of the BPI not have the plastic washer on the inflate button? I think I remember this being metal from before.

Overall the Gen3 Air2 seems to be the one most generic Air2's use a template. Is there a reason to use these instead of new generic Air2 style things, which I have seen as cheap as $80.00 new from time to time.

Yes, exhaust valve shaft corrosion is particularly bad in the Air2, as salt water generally sits in that compartment unless the reg is soaked. And since there's no quick disconnect like Atomic, nobody bothers to do more than a quick rinse.

Correct on the springs. The exhaust button spring eventually matched the Inflator button spring, but not early on.

And again correct on the Gen 3 being adopted by several manufacturers. I don't know if it was licensed or just copied. But Scubapro's plastics always seemed a bit sturdier than many knockoffs.

All that said, if you're going for value, and you use an integrated inflator/octo, the newer DGX BCI is by far a better performer and less expensive to boot, though not quite as low as $80.

I took my time checking back, but thanks for the feedback.

Nice to hear from someone who has some idea what my unfocused questions mean.

(When I get money, I want to take your reg course. Can you actually leverage it into taking manufacturers repair courses? I am always vaguely associated with dealers, and I would rather just be able to get straight with the manufacturers for the training, instead of having to keep bugging the shops to let me sit in on theirs.

I have taken most of the manufacturer's seminars except Sherwood.)

Interesting that DGE BCI seems to be Sherwood knockoff (shape wise). I wish they sold it in an Atomic Style spinoff version! Most of the rental fleet is actually SS1s, but man they get pricey for rental.

EDIT!!! HOLEY MOLEY The DGE does have the spinoff! Thank you so much for pointing me to these!

there's no quick disconnect like Atomic, nobody bothers to do more than a quick rinse.

This has always bothered me. The older Scubapro BC's (pre- integrated pull dump on inflater). Was a quick removal with reverse threaded Union where the corrugated hose met the shoulder. Newer style really makes removing the air2 / inflator a chore even if you have the tool.
I have had it in the back of my mind for a while to see if the Atomic connectors can be retrofit or devise my own.

You can fit an Atomic inflator or integrated octo on a Scubapro corrugated hose to get the quick disconnect.
Since I no longer use an integrated octo, I took the plunge and bought the expensive titanium inflator. I love it. No worries about corrosion, ever. Since I don't ever want to risk a stuck inflator on a tech dive, it was money well spent, IMO.

You can fit an Atomic inflator or integrated octo on a Scubapro corrugated hose to get the quick disconnect.
Since I no longer use an integrated octo, I took the plunge and bought the expensive titanium inflator. I love it. No worries about corrosion, ever. Since I don't ever want to risk a stuck inflator on a tech dive, it was money well spent, IMO.
I have been thinking about the Atomic titanium SS1 & Inflator for a while. I have so many Air2's and a few bal inflators so I just stuck with them. The ability to remove the SS1 as well as the materials like titanium make it optimal for travel or any situation that makes thorough rinsing a challenge.

The great thing about the Atomic is you can carry a Zeagle inflator as a back up, Zeagle also makes the octo Z, they are all about the same.

What I want to know is if that DGE Air2 knockoff is the same threading for the spinoff.

That would be awesome. Rental could be a bunch of BCD's with that fitting, making them easy to clean thoroughly, and not having to own that many alternate inflators.

We are doing it with the SS1s for now, but it is very very expensive to use the ss1's for rental.

And so you hang your air II in a bucket, then hook it up to a tank, with your other junk, then blow it out

Big deal

You can soak your air II discon nected folks

So Phil the Greek, and his son Charlie the King and his son Bill the Prince have all been-are BSAC people

I wonder who rinses-ed their stuff

And so you hang your air II in a bucket, then hook it up to a tank, with your other junk, then blow it out

Big deal

You can soak your air II discon nected folks

So Phil the Greek, and his son Charlie the King and his son Bill the Prince have all been-are BSAC people

I wonder who rinses-ed their stuff

Are you responding to something someone wrote in this thread?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom