On using a small tank to increase bottom time and provide redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can you please explain why diving say, two sidemount 40’s would be safer/better than what I have in mind?
You got an answer to the specifics, I'd like to just add that in general, a lot of what is considered safe diving practices boils down to preventing, catching and defanging mistakes. Your suggested plan may be fine when everything goes as planned, including the failures you're planning for.

However, there are lessons (written in blood) about what happens when people jump in breathing from a different regulator than they think they are, or with one tank that's empty when it was supposed to be full, or closed when it should have been open, etc. The best practice setups guard against these mistakes, or include steps that ensure they are discovered early and in a non-critical stage of the dive.

One of the more fervent pony adherents on the forum has a story from recently when he splashed and was mistakenly breathing from the pony instead of the main tank, and was very surprised and close to panic when finding himself out of gas very early in the dive. This is a classic back-mounted-pony mistake that isn't a thing with, for example, sidemount, backmounted doubles, or a larger single tank with a Y valve.

Your further idea of using the pony to extend the dive time by riding the reserve limit precisely in both your tanks also makes me twitchy. Not that it won't work when it works, but that it reduces the headroom for mistakes, getting distracted, etc. I like leaving myself lots of space to **** up in and still be fine (and then not **** up, ideally).

can you please explain why diving say, two sidemount 40’s would be safer/better than what I have in mind?
Until I had an unexpected freeflow out of the blue at depth I didn’t appreciate just how utterly violent and shocking that is. As I was solo and diving sidemount, no problems as the valves are alway accessible and I’ve a fully redundant backup on the other side. I lost a lot of gas in that incident but kept sufficient to be able to partially continue the dive.

It’s about giving yourself many options. It’s possible to feather the valve on and off to breathe the remaining gas (very difficult with backmount). Your gas pressures are always known as you alternate between regulators, therefore you’ve always a third in reserve.

For the kind of high flow diving you do, it’s alway better to have the options available and not use them than the opposite.

A pair of ali40s are way superior to a single ali80.

POST 4

but until then a good exercise would be, to get on your little tank before you hit reserve on your big
tank and when you hit reserve on your little tank, get back on your big tank then complete your dive

I'm willing to hear anybody out

Thing is your thinking has overtaken your listening with a fervour not suitable to diving at all

Hey, I am just here to keep this ball rolling, through as many pages of repetitivity as possible

Now we've got sidemount banging about sucked down to rocks in fast flowing water no vis?

ec416d73-d55e-42e4-bef7-a025693335f9_text.gif

did you notice how my sentences start and finish in the same place that's anal like my diving

I figure it won't make any difference. Although from what I've read dropping below 100 psi at depth might result in water entering the tank. So I try to stay above that but I'm not always successful.
40 M /132 ' = 5 atm of pressure (or for the metrically inclined, that's be 5 bar on the spg) for us others that the pressure at 130' would be 73-74 psi trying to get into the tank so if it's more than that, then well water ain't getting in. Now what your reg will will require to maintain its 140 PSI IP, well ...

Back
Top Bottom