Not all BCD hoses fit all inflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks inquis, I removed the o-rings and they still don't fit!

For everyone, I measured the diameters of the inflator part, I had two inflators that measured 0.312" (5/16") in diameter, these would not accept half of my spare hoses. Then I measured the rest of the inflator parts, they were about 0.004" undersize, these accepted all of the spare hoses.
Who would have thought it is not o rings??? Lol

I have a brand new DGX 30# wing that when I hooked up the LP hose it leaked when I cocked it sideways a little. Resting straight on it didn’t leak but bend the connection a little and it leaked.
So I hooked up my old Oxycheq Mach 5 to the same PL hose and no leaks.
So I examined both nipples on the inflator assy and the DGX nipple has much sharper corners where the O-ring would rest on it as opposed to the nipple on the Oxycheq wing was slightly rounded. I checked all my other fittings on other things that use that same male fitting and noticed all of them have a slight radius on that corner.
So the fitting on the DGX wing is faulty. No fault of DGX since they didn’t make it, but I suspect whoever manufactured that generic inflator assembly was using a cheap nipple that is out of spec. Unfortunately a lot of Chinese crap tends to be that way and we are at their mercy.
A lot of times my air fittings in my shop are the same way. Cheap crap from Harbor Freight vs high dollar US made Milton fittings.
The cheap crap a lot of times isn’t even compatible with itself! The male and female fittings right next to each other in the bins don’t even work with each other sometimes!

Who would have thought it is not o rings??? Lol
Eh, different sized hardware was my first thought, but the OP said it went part way on. I figured why not try the easy test first. (And yes, I have had the o-ring issue occur and would have sworn it was different HW... but it wasn't.)

Not including combination octo-inflators, there are 3 lpi nipples:

AquaLung/SeaQuest
Scubapro/Tusa
Zeagle/Beuchat

Not positive, but I believe the Scubapro/Tusa is similar to a generic/universal that is on many dry suits and generic inflators...
Apeks had a very large one long ago

I once had a Poseidon BC and the inflator on it would only work with the hose that it came with.

But that was a long time ago and I haven’t seen this issue come up in the last 20 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom